Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Forget the straps, wheres my head?

I still have not found any of the three missing Polar HR straps that I was looking for the other day. The good news is that as a formerly sponsored athlete by Polar, I was going through that gear and found a brand new HR strap tucked into one of the watch boxes. Horrah!!!!

Still down three, but now up one. Go figure.

Yesterday started as a good day. Schedule was just one meeting and some follow ups. Had food. Had fluids. By early evening I was driving in a daze, unaware of where I was or how to get home. What happened???

I started to get a headache around mid day, while still in the meeting, pretty much the same debilitating ones I got with my concussion a few weeks back. I started to blink repeatably again. But I then drove to my next appointment and remember finishing that up and leaving about 4:30pm thinking I had to fill up my gas tank.

Next thing I know I have a low gas tank alarm go off and its over an hour later. The headache is worse than ever. But what did I do while I was driving around? I have no clue.

I called Mistress and gave her a heads up. For 20 minutes I drove around looking for an on-ramp to the freeway and ended up driving up to one of my clubs. The distance from where I was at 4:30 and where I ended up at 6:15 is about 8 miles of driving in an area I am normally very familiar with. But based on my gas tank I must have driven around 35 miles.

So I filled up with gas and went into the club and sat down for a while talking to employees. After about an hour, some soda and sugar and lots of advil, I drove home pretty wiped out.

I can only guess that my actions for that time I was driving was much like a sleepwalker. I obviously didn't have any drama to push me out of whatever state I was in, but I certainly didn't have the wherewithal to just pull over or recognize where I was at.

Strange....

10 comments:

tarheeltri said...

Be careful out there, Comm.

Comm's said...

This could be a big deal, but when I tell people about it, they just laugh at how funny it is.

When i read it online...its a bit creepy.

Maybe its not funny 'haha' but funny 'Dude, your f'ed up' funny

bunnygirl said...

Sounds scary to me. Be careful out there!

Laurie said...

They probably laugh because it is so strange they don't know what to say. It'd be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. Take care.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

yeah - I'm with you. A bit scary - take it easy!

I wonder if you can be chipped (like my cats)?

21stCenturyMom said...

That is kind of scary because you were driving on some sort of auto-pilot. You may have been the most clued in, safest person on the road, though. We find is frightening because you have no recollection of it but that doesn't mean you were driving badly.

Still - "waking up" and realizing you have been driving a car is a bit unnerving, non?

Tri-Angle said...

I'm not laughing Comm. That's serious shit buddy. Glad you made it home.

Rainbow said...

I really am worried about you Comm. Jeesh, what Mistress must go through! Also, I think it is the latter f'd up and not funny ha ha.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I don't think it's funny at all - I am worried. But I agree with Pamela, that just because you were on auto pilot doesn't mean you were an unfocused driver.
Be careful.

Bigun said...

Dude! That's Perfect! You can spend hours suffering on an IM course, and totally not remember or even realize that you did it! The volunteers will make sure you don't go off course, hopefully; Comm's IM experience: Boom!...I'm wet...it's really windy...high-five'n everyone...finisher's shoot...beer!