Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Flipping Pies

I got an email from a friend, a personal trainer, who was sending out his defensive strategies for Thanksgiving. He asked for some feedback on what has worked for us receiving the message and he would share them with everyone else.

Here was my contribution. I am interested in yours...

I think a lot of families remember us (guys in particular) as “ravenous, eating contest with Uncle Bob teenagers”, not the triathletes we are today. It takes supreme effort to maintain control at the family gathering but I always treat the snack table as a run aid station. I don’t stand at the table I walk or run through. I grab something to drink, something to nibble in one hand and then gone, just like a race.

During the meal, just try to stay under the radar. Make the plate look full by spreading everything around.

After all that effort to maintain control during the meal it can all fall apart at the end when we leave. Everyone is offering leftovers and that’s when you ‘give in’. Ask everyone else to take their share first and then take everything offered, especially slices of pie and cake. Don’t hold back. You will get claps on the back for finally indulging yourself as you walk out the door loaded down.

Then as soon as you pull into the driveway, throw it all in the garbage can beside your house. Every last bite. You don’t eat all the calories and your family will think they finally broke you down.

5 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

I just plan to gain 2 pounds.

It's OK, I put it into my bodycomposition trajectory spreadsheet.

Dances with Corgis said...

huh. that is an interesting strategy. I would probably sneak out to the garbage at midnight and be found with the raccoons munching away :)

Tri-Angle said...

Since it's just me, Dana and the the kiddos this year, as it has been for a couple of years now, we forego the Traditional feast and opt for the "surf and turf" Some porterhouse on the grill and King Crab Legs in the pot.
Everything in Moderation.......

21stCenturyMom said...

blogger ate my comment - grrr!!!!

Nancy Toby said...

Blogger ate my comment too.

What I said was - eat and enjoy Thanksgiving's bounty and shed the obsessiveness and rigid control.

It's not Thanksgiving the athlete needs to worry about. It's the other 1094 meals each year.