Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Things do change

Where to begin, where to begin. Folks I am very inspired right now. I am having some great workouts. Each day seems to bring me more speed and strength at the same heart rate. Zone training is the melding of consistency and sticking to the plan and often it is far to easy to lose either one.

Today on my run I was able to sustain a low 12 minute mile at just under 150 bpm. Two weeks ago I was a minute slower. There is a lot of people who just absolutely would not subject themselves to that ego bruising position. But I get it. Do you get it? Do you understand that my Ironman marathon pace is right around 12 minute miles? While I won't be doing any of those races again, (cough*cough) I do envision myself running in a triathlon once more. In fact my run today was on the Ironman Arizona course.

I actually was smiling today on my run. Unconsciously. Now I love to run, but it's something I've struggled to do my whole life. I would try to do it in the past and it just felt forced. It felt more like a grimace. I remember seeing friends smile so broadly and effortlessly on training runs. I just wasn't able to mimic. People tell me I look like I am getting ready to run through a wall. But...not today. Today I ran with smile and it was good.

There's treasure everywhere

6 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to hear about your smile!

Fumo Santo said...

Good to hear Comm. 150bpm aint bad for that pace (at least for me). I can't get my HR down for the life of me. I was just on a run 2 days ago trying to keep my HR in check, and even at an 11:00 pace, I'm still averaging in the upper 160's... Zone training has always been frustrating for me.

stronger said...

So happy that you get to be back out there again- noone appreciates it more than you right now.

J~Mom said...

Awesome Comm!!! Just awesome that you are out there doing what you love.

Brent Buckner said...

Maybe you just like running in that HR zone....

:-D

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Woohoo! That's a great improvement. Way to enjoy that run. I'm just getting back to running and it feels so good! Who wouldn't smile?