Friday, January 2, 2009

In you, not on you

We take the opportunity each January 1, to declare a NEW this or NEW that, I WON'T do this or that, I WILL do this or that.

I have absolutely no problem with resolutions, its a small step to arranging our life into a more perfect order, but I am always sad to see them fall by the wayside after only a couple of weeks. Heck I have seen resolutions fall by the wayside in a couple hours.

This is why I have always recommended affirmations and for people to read them upon rising, once during the day and again before going to bed. I have seen people use 100 affirmations, my particular style has taken me sometimes fifteen minutes at a pop to read, but they work.

I believe every New Years resolution or personal affirmation boils down to one concept, 'a new you." On my bathroom mirror in dry erase marker I wrote in bold letters, "Today is a new me." Yeah it a bit new age but it sets my mind when I see. it. You could just as well write, "I am an Ironman" if that's your main goal of the year.

The point of the declaration is that you are trying to change behavior, not become some thing new. You can be resolute in losing weight or stop a bad habit but once you accomplish it, you don't want it to define you. In 2010 do you want to be seen as, "Hey John, let me introduce you to Sally. Sally lost 50 pounds, read a book a month and stopped drinking diet cola in 2009."

No of course not. You want all those things you change about yourself to shine through your confidence, energy, enthusiasm and self esteem.

If you didn't make a resolution because you always fail at them, thats okay. On any given day of your life you can pick a habit up or put a habit down. Some are harder than others but when you conquer the hardest ones, they're the most rewarding.

There's treasure everywhere.


4 comments:

Greg said...

happy new year bro!

Mommymeepa said...

Well said. I started my "resolutions" early. Got a trainer and stopped biting my nails. I never wait until January first to start.

LBTEPA said...

Another good one :) I've written NEO - Not Even One - on the kitchen tiles to remind me that it's snacks that have got me this lardy, and STG - See The Good - up in other places to remind me to value my family, not just see their faults, a very destructive habit. Happy Neww Year Comms

Kona Shelley said...

I'm with you Comm! I didn't make any resolutions though. I don't think I ever do. I like the idea of writing down things on your mirror..that's neat!!