Thursday, January 8, 2009

First ride

I recognize that in my past I did not need prodding. I did not ask, "How high?" when told to jump, I jumped as high as I possibly could. I have never been told, "You're slacking today." One of the reasons I have eschewed personal coaching is the firm belief that no one is going to kick my ass more so than me. Now don't get me wrong, I certainly need education and accountability and for that a mentor or coach is a terrific asset.

I finally rode my bike on Thursday. It was perfect weather and clear roads. Ah, heaven. I rode 12 miles with my two best friends who happen to be my training partners. They started a plan for IM CdA, so I am coming in a bit lame and late. Who cares though! I can ride and that is great enough.

I only rode for an hour. The distance, 12 miles. Well obviously I went faster than 12 mph but had some stop lights and had some slow speed chats and adjustments.I could have gone longer or farther but one hour is good enough. I am learning....limits. I kept my cadence over 85 and my HR below 150 bpm.

I actually did not ride much in the aero bars. Two reasons. First, it increased my HR about 3 bpm. Second, I did not feel worthy. To me aero is the 'business' position of my bike. When I get there, I mean to put the hurt on.

But no, today was not about business or power or watts. Today was about the joy of doing something I love, riding my kick ass carbon fiber wet dream Valdora tri bike with my pals.

There's treasure everywhere.


4 comments:

Melissa said...

I am so happy for you that you got to get out there and ride. Sounds like it was a good time. I will continue to pray for your recovery.

Fumo Santo said...

Sounds like a great time Comm.
During the fall I stripped my aero bars from the bike and tweaked it for more recreational riding with Jackie. I do still have my IM tag on my neck as a reminder, but without a specific training plan I too was able to find some lost joy in biking again.
Keep it up man, it sounds like your're thrilled.

Nytro said...

atta boy.

btw... totally jealous that you got to ride. i'm stuck in the hell that is spin class until prolly march or april. unless we take a trip to st. george with the bikes. which is sounding REALLY good right. about. now.

Dave M said...

Good job, Comm's. Please take it easy and enjoy the ride! Looking forward to more posts like this one.