Thursday, May 1, 2008

Random musings

I have been waiting since yesterday for my labs, its the post I have been waiting to write. It's there but unreviewed, therefore unfaxed. In the meantime I been distracting myself with news and pop culture. Here are a few of my thoughts>

  • You probably know that today is May-Day, its been all over the morning news. Historically a day that workers internationally celebrated the steps taken to provide for their care and safety. It began in the United States and its most significant step is one of its first, the eight-hour work day. Later the Soviet Union and other communist countries took the day as a reason to show off its tanks and missiles and military. In this new millennium anarchists have taken it as a normal work day of demonstrations against government and riot against business.
  • Did you also know today is the National Day of Prayer? The first Thursday of May is designated as such. Bet you won't see that on the local or national news.
  • Life has been a bit chaotic lately and I had stacks of clothes to finally put away. My drawer holding all my workout clothes couldn't be closed. Everything was clean. That coupled with packing for Mexico, going to a race I am not doing, it bummed me out a little bit. More than a little bit. I've had to make a lot of changes in my life in the last few weeks, the mental ones harder than the physical one. Its a process.
  • Locally a teacher got pregnant having sex with a 14 year old student and only got three months in jail. I don't get that.
  • This week Border Patrol agents along the Arizona-Mexico border have been given new personal carry weapons to fight against illegal immigration. Paint ball guns. This is what they are to use when attacked at the border.
  • Is anyone surprised Annie Leibovitz is the photographer of the scandalous Miley Cyrus photo for Vogue? Isn't it her thing to take controversial photos of celebrities that garner attention?
  • I believe in second chances, sometimes even thirds. I don't understand the pop culture phenomenon of celebrating people like Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix, Curt Cobain and more recently Ami Winehouse. I don't see the appeal of glamorizing or creating celebrity of drug addicts. What is to celebrate about singers and actresses who are caught on tape or die smoking crack or shooting heroin. That being said, I applaud people like Robert Downey Jr. who turned his life around and will have one of the biggest movies of the year.
I don't know, just a bunch of thoughts running through my head. Hopefully today a set of results to report on.

9 comments:

Steven said...

I like your random musings. Those are things on a lot of people's minds. And I agree on Robert Downey - they guy is a great actor and it's nice to see he finally has his *hit together.

Lauren said...

Random response...my garmin's name is Jimi.

Fumo Santo said...

Isn't Robert Downey Jr. well past his third chance? Whereas his Tony Stark roll will be one for the books, isn't it a shame we haven't seen any more brilliant roles from the actor who had the chops to pull off Chaplin so well? Let's hope he stays on the high road this time.

I do agree with your take on Winehouse. I really don't see the allure, and I'd be hard pressed to place her in the company of Morrison and Hendrix (both pioneers in their respective genres). And I've never been a huge Nirvana fan...

Bigun said...

I just gave my illegal immigrant Mexican workers the day off to go play paintball while I take off the safty guards from my lawn equipment and said a prayer for Jim Morrison after taking a bong hit with my old HS Algebra Teacher - you can see a picture of it on my blog.

21stCenturyMom said...

You must live in a very misogynistic place for a man who rapes a 14 year old to get only 3 months. I'm sure everyone things 'she asked for it' as if a 14 year old could possibly be that clear about the situation. Perhaps she was Latina? Disgusting.

Jimi and Jim were brilliant, brilliant musicians. It's a sad thing that the culture was so pro-drug because we lost some serious talent with them. Cobain, meh and Amy Winehouse has a great voice but this new artist Duffy is just as good.

Robert Downey Jr. did indeed take a few rounds of serious therapy to kick the habit. Here's to 2nd and 3rd chances!

And here's to your health - may it return soon.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Morrison was a poet.
Loved him. But he'd have been cool to know as an adult, too. But we'll never experience that.
I believe in chances, too - thankfully I have peeps who give me many!

Mommymeepa said...

Tell Mo I mailed his package today!!

Di said...

...things that make yu go hummmm...

Love Morrison - long before I knew his life story. I was a kid and totally hooked. I didn't know his true history until I was almost 24.He was HAWT.Vocally speaking ofcourse. Intellectually speaking, genius. Very introspective.
14 yr old Daddy - sick sick sick, we seem to have an outbreak of this in Florida right now. Female teachers having sex with middle schoolers. WTFUDGE!!!????
Paint ball guns. Well, still going...hummmmmm on that one.
Annie L. LOVE HER. She was the "Madonna" of photography long before Madonna knew what controversy was. She has tamed it up a bit over the years. The fact that there is so much chatter about Cyrus, pitiful. I wonder who the next Lohan-Spears project for the media is????
Multiple chances in life... who shouldn't? If people didn't have multiple chances that would mean we have all given up hope.
As for you packing for trip that was supposed to be a race you won't be doing and a work out drawer that is overflowing...well, remember that whole chance thing? You'll have others. This time, you'll start out wiser and know your limits. remember, you have Mistress and Mo.

tri-mama said...

funny the thoughts that ramble through your mind as you wait for your life to sort itself out. :-) Thinking of you...