Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Paying Myself

I bought light bulbs yesterday. 100 watts. Not CFL's. Get over it. The illumination of CFL's is terrible regardless of the model. And from practical application I can tell you they last no longer than regular bulbs. In fact I have thrown out at least three this year after getting some for Christmas. I am not into paying more for something that gives me less of what I want.

I have begun recycling aluminum cans. Part of it is a by product of my own stewardship of the environment but I have an ulterior motive. It's going towards my 'buggy fund'. Yes I would love to own a dune buggy like this one.

A friend had one in college and I really enjoyed it. One has been on my wish list since moving to the SW a decade ago. I finally decided to do something about it but the discretionary income is not there so I will let my habits pay for it, drinking diet coke and picking up trash. I already pick up trash at the lake when I go up there so separating cans is not a problem, nor is collecting the family usage. A pound of cans, roughly 25 of them, is worth between .85 cents and a dollar. Eventually I will make the purchase and the instant upgrades just from my recycling and collecting. It will take a while but I got time.

I also picked up a very small, powerful solar charger and modified it to accept USB plugs. It cost me a fraction of what I'd have to pay for a battery operated system, plus no batteries! I have enough adapters to charge just about any small electrical device like my cell phone, iPod, gps, laptop, portable DVD and camera. Did you know charging your cell phone eight hours every night at home equals about $7 of your monthly utility bill or about $80 annually?

While I know this is silly, I pay myself to read books. I love to read and realized that when I am in a book I am not in a store spending money on impulse stuff. Depending on my training and work load, I'll read two to four books a month. I pay myself $20 a book. Its silly but an effective way to put some money aside. I only imagine how much I'd have if I started this two decades ago.

6 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Hmm, I had no idea charging a cell phone was so costly. We don't have cable or satellite TV, though, which saves a lot. I haven't had a lot of luck with CFLs lasting very long either :-(

21stCenturyMom said...

That would be a hybrid dune buggy right :-)

I love all of your ideas - any excuse to squirrel away 20 bucks is a good excuse.

And I also had no idea cell phone charging was so energy intensive. Love the idea of a solar charger. Where did you get it?

Mommymeepa said...

I'm surprised about the Lightbulbs. Ours last a long time. Weird. Dune buggies are AWESOME. Let me know when you get it so we can come and ride with you.

Take care and have fun!!

Spokane Al said...

I have had very good luck with the twisted light bulbs. I like their light too! Perhaps it is an AZ thing.

I do like your idea of paying to read. Of course, since I buy most of my books, I will be reinvesting in more books.

Flabbyironman said...

My dad paid for his masters degree with recycled cans. He still collects them. One of my first jobs was helping him go to the park in the evening and dig through the garbage cans around the softball fields for empty beer cans.

To this day he still has index cards filled with hash marks indicating how many pounds he's recycled. A few years ago he recycled his one millionth can.

Now he just uses the can money for golf.

Nytro said...

when i was in college, we had the "boxed wine fund". we paid for a box of wine in the fridge at all times with recycled can monies. when we were getting low on wine, that was when it was time to throw another party.

it was the circle of life.