Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Days like these

There are times in the day when I am struck with incredulity. How can it be that a man who has defined his professional and personal life by fitness suddenly is unable to do it? Then I consider myself very lucky to have all my body parts, for the most part all my mental faculties and despite my currently failing liver a decent level of health. The trade off to potentially not being able to train like I did for so long is that I can still be a whole father and husband.

My future is still incredibly bright and regardless of any physical defections I may have I will not slide into sloth or obesity. I am not stunted in my outlook. Like I have preached many a time, "Ever Forward. Charlie Mike." For all the trouble those mantra's have caused they have been the foundation for me to do great things. And will continue to do so.

5 comments:

tarheeltri said...

The level of fitness that most triathletes try to maintain is really above and beyond what is necessary. I truly believe you can be a fit person without ever running, biking, swimming or spending a minute in the gym. Triathlon for me (especially Ironman) allowed me to be careless with my diet. It's not without questiont that I may someday voluntarily do what you've been forced to. It's just going to require a step back and a view from a completely new angle and then one day you'll look back and think wow! I never knew this was possible.

bunnygirl said...

Hang in there. You can still do things like yoga, right? You can walk. You'll eventually be cleared for weights and other activities.

There are a lot of other things you can do with your time, too. You can volunteer for a good cause. You can take up a craft or a hobby. There are so many ways to keep being uncommon! :-)

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I'm with both of those comments. And thanks for the link to the dictionary,,, I needed it - that's a great word!

Bill said...

There you go, Comm's. It's just another turn in the journey. Full of purpose and experiences.

Di said...

My future is still incredibly bright -regardless....
'nuff said. ;)