Thursday, May 29, 2008

Kid in a candy store...

After given the green light to workout I immediately decided my first workout would be to climb Camelback Mtn. a tough 1.5 mile scramble up a mountain in the middle of town. The 95* heat would be the added bonus to a great workout. I conspired with myself, ferreting gear aside so Mistress would not be suspicious of the training I had prepared.

The next morning I took some time to meditate on my plan and decided that it would not be prudent to challenge myself so strongly. I convicted myself once again for not paying attention to reality. I still have so far to go in this process. The dozens of admonishing emails and texts to 'take it easy' only cemented my resolve to reign it in.

Instead I planned a much simpler workout at the park next to my house, resting as necessary:
25 Pull Ups
50 Push Ups
50 Sit Ups
50 Floor Wipers, using two stable poles
50 Reverse Push Ups
50 Jumping Jacks
50 Burpies
20 minute run
Honestly I think the run 'hurt' me the most, though the screaming triceps today may disagree. Eight weeks ago I ran 3 hours at a moments notice with little effort. This week I am so glad I didn't stop running and really glad I only went for 20 minutes.

But hey I've been through a lot physically and had a long rest. So I'm not to beat up about it. I am just glad to not be hooked up to dialysis machine or be on a permanent training hiatus. As I have mentioned and try to constantly remember, statically I shouldn't be allowed any training right now and with it being conditional there is still a vast chasm to cross before understanding my true limitations and finding the sweet spot between itch and scratch.

Today I am going to OW swim a klick (military jargon for 1 kilometer or 1,000 meters), and attempt a 2.5 mile run. Each one lap of the underground duathlon the aztriclub is holding this Sunday. Jeff and I are going to check the run course out.

Friday I may ride to work, which is 30 miles RT and do that more regularly from now on when scheduling allows.

Have Fun.

10 comments:

Jen_runs said...

If your Saddleback Mountain is anything like our Saddleback Mountain, that was probably a good decision ;-)

Your excitement shows you are certainly not a Common Man anymore. I feel sorry for those people who don't 'get' it.

Take care of yourself !

Brent Buckner said...

Have fun. Play safely!

Chris said...

I'm glad you've been cleared for some physical activity. Please do be careful with it though. As important as I know it is to live this "healthy" lifestyle, "healthy" is a very personal thing. Have fun, but be safe!

21stCenturyMom said...

Good job on not going for that hot, hilly hike.

You have sore muscles! Suweet!

Bill said...

Whoo hooo! Glad to see that you're able to do some things.

Wendy said...

Reining it in was good -- I confess you gave me a scare with the opening of this post!

We all want to have you around for a good long time.

Be careful out there!!

J~Mom said...

I bet that felt fantastic!!

I wish I didn't have church, I would come to the underground this Sunday. I mean I don't wish I didn't have church...you know what I mean...I wish I could do both.

kt said...

Congrats on the green light! Please, please, please be careful. Listen to your body and have fun! Chris is totally right, healthy is a very personal thing.

triguyjt said...

glad you got the green light and it looks like you have not only taken the bull by the horns, you got him by the balls....

good on you, comm.

Mommymeepa said...

Ok, so I am totally grossed out now. Why you ask? Well, I'll tell ya. I clicked on the link you listed for Burpies cause I wasn't sure what those were and then in good YOUTUBE fashion kept clicking on other videos and watched a bunch of Body Building Videos. Ewwwww! Gross. I can't stand the guys with the veins popping out everywhere and there is one guy named Brett with the most disgusting Pecs I have ever seen. He looks like he has boobs with his nipples on the bottom. Why does he think that looks good? One will never know. He was laying down on a weight bench, so maybe the angle was the problem, but it was gross. Some of it just looks so sick and wrong on so many levels.
So, Commondore, I would like to thank you so much for my gross out today. 'preciate it!! LOL

PS. My word verification says OH GE DEB!! Thought that was funny!! Like someone thought Deb was being Lame. "Oh Gee Deb, are you kidding me?

Ok, seriously I need more sleep at night.