Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A New Shiny Thing: helmet

Its the return of Shiny Thing segments. For the uninitiated, Shiny Things are usually very cool objects, though not necessarily shiny. (Though if you think about it most shiny things are pretty cool). They can be expensive or not. Shiny is a figurative frame for getting something you want or didn't want but you got it anyway because its cool to you.

I finally found a helmet for "non-biking" activity. For those unfamiliar as to why I would need a helmet for activities other than cycling please click the 'TBI' link below and read up on my unusual life of head injury's. I chose the Pro Tec Ace Freestyle SXP.

I had certain demands when making my decision. It needed to obviously protect my head from the knocks that will give me yet another concussion. It needed to have a classic, multi use look as opposed to a specific shape like a helmet. Lastly, due to my location, it needed to be well ventilated.

Pro Tec has mass popularity in groups that demand head protection like skaters, BMX'ers and special operation military units. They are light weight, take a beating and depending on the model is quite well ventilated. When I worked in urban combat scenarios in the 1990's we used this type of helmet or a hockey helmet. Neither of them had any ballistic protection, but the opportunity for injury was greater from hitting or falling down something in a busted up building.

There are helmets on the market that are more and less expensive than Pro Tec models. The deciding factor for me on this particular helmet is two fold. First it is CPSC which means it is fully complaint as a cycling helmet. Second it uses a new technology inside called SXP, which allows for multi impacts without decrease in protection. I hope to never put this technology to the test but if I do, its nice to think that the helmet may be stronger than just a basic model.

Some other positive considerations; the helmet is molded for goggles. There are a dozen vent holes on the front, back and top which will help in desert climates. Each helmet fits a bit differently so I do suggest that if anyone is looking for a multi sport helmet they try several models. The 'water' models have a liner that allows the helmet to float and provide ear protection. Some models use an additional strap that attaches around the throat to provide additional connectivity to your head.

What will I use this helmet for? Good question. Right now watching tv and yard work. Just kidding. Actually I will use this for quite a lot. I sometimes pretend to water ski, each time I fall pretty hard. For Mexican vacations I like to use ATV's and a personal helmet is better piece of mind than a rental. Mistress would like to take me horseback riding at some point. I have a full suspension mountain bike and would rather use this helmet than my over priced tri-helmet. When I do desert runs, I have been known to boulder and having this in my pack would be a benefit. I am invited to 4-wheel a few times per year and there is the potential to hit the head when being rocked inside a vehicle. I owe Bolder a trip to his town and I am sure he will try to get me to snow ski if its next winter.

In the end, this will give both Mistress and I peace of mind and that is worth a lot. I don't mind the looks I may get looking out of place. But its worth it.

7 comments:

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

as long as you don't have to wear it to sleep in, you're still in good shape.

stronger said...

Oh good- I'm glad you got that for a new shiny thing. Take it to the pool.

Mommymeepa said...

Looks cool. We want to see a picture of you and your new shiny thing when you get it. :-)

Ellie Hamilton said...

Getting a new sport toy is the next best thing to getting back into the swing of things -- actually a portent that this is about to happen! Nice going! Glad you're antsy to get moving!

ShirleyPerly said...

Sounds like you'll get a lot of use from it. I could actually use one when doing yard work. When I cut down big tall palm fronds and palm flowers, usually I cut only enough to get them to come down using their own weight and I have to make sure I get out of the way when they land.

Bigun said...

a set of dark Oakleys and folks will be looking to see if you are packing heat. Whilst horseback riding.

kodiacbear said...

Yes, We want pictures--with the glasses too!

Glad to see your thinking outside the box, and yes, toys are the next best thing to going out and playing.