Friday, May 9, 2008

Harder than it looks

Okay, lets agree up front that training for Ironman is not the MOST conducive way to lose weight, though our Florida friend Adam may disagree; he lost 140.6 pounds in ten months before finishing a 140.6 mile race. However once us mortals tuck into our training plans, we hit a set point and maintain that weight up till the taper when we'll put a fiver back on.

I envy those people who lose weight when they don't workout. I am the body type that if I don't workout I gain. That extra 1,000 calorie burn off each day from training is crucial to any success I want on the scale. So I am somewhat happy to report that I have lost weight since getting out of the hospital.

The nature of this recovery is going to be gradual thus even more important for me to watch what I put in my body until I can do any activity over a Z1. The aspect of ONLY watching my nutrition to lose weight has been a challenge and admire those that do it while not simply following a 800 calorie per day intake that is unrealistic to maintain.

Part of putting this life back together is to drop down below 185 pounds from my normal homeostasis of just under 200. I have never done this without training. Oh goody a new challenge. Well if its the only one my body is up for, so be it.

Have Fun. Racing season is here, especially for those who live in snow and overcast areas.





2 comments:

Wendy said...

Goal weights -- often challenging to achieve no matter what the circumstances!

21stCenturyMom said...

I gain weight just thinking about food. It feels like an absolute miracle that I have lost 10 pounds in the last 4 months - A MIRACLE!

Once I stop training I may never eat again!