Thursday, May 8, 2008

Two sides

Part of what I do for a pay check is answer and mediate complaints between business and consumer. Working on the defense of the business, but I am fair in my process. If the business did wrong, I won't manipulate the system for an unfair decision. On this last one I have a bad taste in my mouth. The case was settled fine but when I reviewed the entire file, the description of events is so divergent that it makes me question the basis of my response for the business.

I believe the manager being accused of wrong doing made some mistakes in the follow through but did not cause the problem to begin with and the mistakes were bred from expediency and convenience not malice. The accuser is completely biased but the story also holds water. Of course I get excoriated by the accuser because I believed the business over the consumer.

In the end the accuser got what they wanted but part of my position is to find a solution that leaves each party 'whole'. There can be agreement or disagreement but what really matters to me is that the events are accurate from both perspectives. Occasionally that doesn't happen, like here.

Really the only thing I could do in the end, was forward the entire file to the managers supervisor with my final thoughts and hope that if I was lied to, it doesn't happen again.

It was a lousy win.

2 comments:

21stCenturyMom said...

I had a conversation with a child the other day regardin an incident in which child A said child B kicked her and where the mother denied that any of that happened based on the relative positions of the accused and accuser at the time. Chances are that Child A made up the story to get a win. I explained that when the judge isn't there to see what happened there really isn't any win to be had. And that's the truth.

Di said...

"fair" doesn't always make us feel good. But, fair IS fair and it is what it is.