Tuesday, May 15, 2007

What is an off season?

There is a body change contest going on in my company. We are highlighting the effects of two new supplements we're selling and many of my peers are using it to jump start their personal fitness programs that have been severely lacking. So when a bunch of Type A's start talking, bets are made and a company contest is created.

Many people looked to me to enter this fracas, but I kept my mouth shut. It started around Ironman Arizona and I was looking at an off season after almost 18 months of all-go, no-quit training. Besides I crushed my peers a few years ago when we did the last big contest and wasn't interested in doing it again. I have been coaching a couple of the managers but I am not taking the stuff myself. Unless we start getting a supplement that affects recovery from exercise that I have already used.

I have been liking my off-season now starting its second week. I have not been on my bike in ten days but I am okay with that, lots of running and swimming. Today is another swim with Coach Nick then track work after that. I really believe that the track and bleachers and the up coming drill sets I add in a few weeks will bring my pace down at least a minute over the course of the year.

If anything I am enjoying my training more right now than I have all year. Its nice to not have to be held accountable to a looming race. Yesterday I did an easy loop of the IMAZ run course in the late day, around 103 degrees and just took my time, worked on new nutrition, hydration and acclimatizing. Looks like its triple digits through Halloween from now on. My swims have been smooth and faster, though incorporating my new breathing pattern has been a bother in open water. It will come.

Off season is a good place for me right now. Trying new things, adapting new techniques.

6 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

I've heard testosterone patches work wonders.... ;-)

Tony said...

Yo Comms,

I was out running the Tempe Town Lake last night as well. Did you see me and run the other way? Boy you sure know how to hurt a guys feelings.

LBTEPA said...

Hey, love the photo in the last post :)
Well done staying out of the type-A slugfest!

Wendy said...

Comm's, that's the way to work through the swim challenges!

Andy said...

Sounds great! Get the race out early in the year, and then just slow and steady training for the remainder. Wow, I have not had a competition like that at a job since my telemarketing days where we sold some supplements for a few companies.

I worked out alot a the gym at that time, so it was not hard to be at the top. I did not win though.

Murtha...

Iron Pol said...

Hmmm. Comms is doing more in his off season than I am in IM training. Is there anything wrong with that?

Goals are good, and anything that strengthens the run is a good idea. Check out my post (Graphic Post) from earlier, today, on that exact subject.

We had a "Biggest Loser" contest at work, and they asked if I was playing. Pointing out that I lost more than 30 pounds in the past 15 months and was trying to stop the slide, I passed. I lost an additional 5 pounds during their contest, more than most participants lost.