Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Weighty matters

I have mentioned that many of my peers I work with are in the middle of a body change contest. I am not for a few reasons; I won this the last time, I am not horribly out of shape, I don't need a kick start for a season of change since I just started my off-season.

However it is hard to not listen to people state they've lost ten, fifteen, twenty pounds already and not feel that competitive Type A kick in.

I did not go through all the circumference and body fat testing but my scale has been the same pretty much all month. Down a couple pounds, wow-wee. But I have noticed that all the strength and interval work has started to put some more muscle back on my body and my upgraded nutrition is helping cut the body fat. Even though the scale don't lie, my abs are getting leaner and my arms more defined. The weights not coming off but the stuff that matters is.

I have said it before, that LSD training and/or Ironman training is not conducive to weight loss or body fat reduction and should not be used as such. There is weight loss through the higher volume of training but the toll on the body's recovery and repair process counterbalances any long term increase in metabolism speed and fat loss.

To quote one of my favorite columnists, John Bingham, "Waddle On"

8 comments:

Bigun said...

Look at the comm, the comm-man, the comm-meister...mr. comm. Commolitious. Comm-a-lama-ding-dong. The Cominator - with the 6-pack.

Flo said...

You're absolutely right Comm, LSD is not conducive to fat loss. You train your body to use fat as fuel but it becomes very efficient at that. Once something becomes efficient at anything it uses less. A car that fuel efficient uses less gas. A body that is fat efficient uses less fat.

21stCenturyMom said...

That has to be the most frustrating thing about training for triathlon - no weight loss. At least not any kind of fast weight loss. It will lean you up but not for long. Very frustrating.

Aren't you glad you are in an off-season so your type-A within can join the contest?

Jeremy said...

I totally agree with your assessment. In my biggest volume weeks, I typically gain weight. Two weeks ago, I put in 15+ hours. Gained 2 pounds. Following week, I do a pedestrian-ish 6 hour recovery week. Lost 2 pounds. Go figure!

Di said...

muscle weighs more than fat...that means you are now PHAT!!

Wendy said...

Competitive? Type A??

We know people like that????

Brent Buckner said...

Type A. Doesn't that have something to do with blood chemistry?

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

I got my start doing that sort of thing, but now I'm all about function. I agree - different diet, different objective.

It's all about function.