Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Turning the page

For the first time since the fall of 2005, I have a significant break in training. Next planned race is pacing a friend through the PF Chang 1/2 mary next January. Ironman training is blissfully put on hold until September. So whats the Intrepid Age Grouper to do?

I took Monday off.

I know I should probably take more time off but this does seem like a break in training for me. The next few months I will not be concerned with distance or total time but getting back to some fundimentals that got lost in doing 3 Ironman training programs back to back to back.

I am going to learn to breathe correctly. I think that if I improve my breathing I will become a better swimmer and runner.

Food is for fuel not entertainment. I am going to manage my daily intake better on a personal level and I am going to redesign what I use in practice and races to give me optimum performance in any situation.

I will continue to improve in the swim. I have made great strides but there is still much room to improve. Using a coach I will be a middle of the pack swimmer who has good swimming mechanics.

I am going to become a better cyclist. I am so close to break through in my riding. By improving my cycling endurance and speed by just 10% over the summer, just 2 mph on average, I will take 45 minutes off my Iron distance time.

I am going to incorporate weights, speed work, hills, bleachers, intervals anything that will build speed and strength on the bike and run that I have not done in years.

I love to run but I am not consistent lately. I will be a consistent runner who can rely on being able to run a marathon at will.

Most people would tell me that racing is a good part of the training improvement plan, it shows statistical numbers to work off of. But I look forward to a summer with no taper or recovery. I like the idea of beating the piss out of myself in training without concern for if it will affect an upcoming race. I look forward to putting race money into an endless pool for the house or a great vacation for the family. This is not to say that I may jump into to something last minute. Anything is possible, but I won't be killing myself financially or physically for it. I will not stress myself out on race anxiety this year or race injured.

11 comments:

Di said...

Great outlook!! Sounds like a great plan for improvement without the pressure of upcoming races.

21stCenturyMom said...

That all sounds really great except for the 'beat the piss out of myself'. Focusing on form and pace sounds like a great plan. And not spending oodles on events also sounds really good. If there is one thing this sport is not, it's cheap.

Laurie said...

Sounds like a great plan, Comm.

I'm glad you took yesterday off! ;)

Winz Photo said...

Rick ON buddy!

Iron Pol said...

There's something to be said for having the run DOWN. My co-workers are baffled that I am running a marathon with them, without doing a real marathon training program. My standard training with a few long runs, and I'm fine. It's great knowing you can go out on any day and knock out 26.2 miles.

Like you, I'm focused on the bike and swim. The swim is coming into shape (by Iron Pol standards) and it's time to get some saddle time. The dedicating that was going to the swim will now go to the bike.

Still, TAKE IT EASY for a bit. Doctor's orders. Well, I'm not really a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night.

Andy said...

Ahhhh the love of S&M as it relates to training... Abuse the heck out of yourself for the betterment of you in your sport.

Right now I have nothing scheduled until the end of the summer, similar to yours... Afer my post and your response, I think I just might keep it that way...

Murtha...

Wendy said...

Comm's, a few days off are a good thing!

It'll be a pleasure to follow your progress.

Glen said...

I'm with you mate, I dont have anything until the timex in september and I'm going to be working on all the same things you are. So I'm with you in the mornings at the track and up hills, and any bike rides you want.
Look forward to a long summer of training with you.

Bigun said...

Great plan - all this racing as of late has me a bit dazed - still no end in sight for me, but I asked for it. I do miss those uninterruped weeks of consistent training with no tapers through the winter - enjoy that Comm!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Enjoy the time away. Savor those things that you gave up for those long training hours. Definitely go for a family vacation or other such fun.

Fumo Santo said...

I find it interesting that you published this post at exactly 12:00 AM. You couldn't ask for better timing when turning the page.