Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Music

90% of the background noise in my life is talk radio of one type or another. Very little music. For those rare times I listen to music its stuff on my iPod, which is also loaded up with visualization stuff.

Which is strange because I absolutely dominate on mainstream music trivia. I play 'name that band' a lot with friends at work and they never stand a chance.

There is one album that I had completely forgotten about but for several years was played non-stop in my car and in my room- Operation Mind Crime by Queenryche, a magnum opus in music. I saw it today at iTunes and had to download it. I became hooked on this band and this album very early on. How early? I saw them record it in the studio thanks to a co-worker who knew the lead singer. It helped that my brother dated the bass player's little sister in school, that led me to the lead singers 30th birthday blow out when Mind Crime was on the charts.

The first time I heard Sir Mix-A-Lot he was signing four feet from me at a garage party. The only time I saw Pearl Jam they were Mookie Blaylock and playing a college bar playing their soon to be released album Ten. I met Alice in Chains in studio cutting their first album; Layne Staley the lead singer, he and I lived in the same city as kids. He told me he was only cutting the album so he could make some money for his heroin addiction. He OD'd about ten years later. I was pretty opinionated about drug use back then and refused to see Nirvana but had many chances. Still glad about that.

The Posies, Soundgarden, MudHoney, The Presidents of The United States of America, I saw them all. Given all that, my favorite band was a folk/grunge band called Inflatable Soule. I probably saw them a dozen times, all in little venues or grass concerts. They never made it big out of Seattle but when three members of the band are related to Chris Cornell from Soundgarden you know its pretty good. Also that they worked they all worked at a bar down the street when they weren't playing didn't hurt either.

Well all that and $1.84 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks today but being in Seattle back then was something. Coffee was getting big. Microbrews were gaining popularity. I was in and out of active duty. I was thinking for myself for the first time in my life.

I might never listen to a lot of music again, preferring the stimulus of talk radio but for a time I watched greatness unfold and it was glorious.

11 comments:

Flo said...

Isn't is amazing how things happen. Who knew at the time those folks you were hearing were going to end up where they did??

When I was a child my sister used to take me to New York and we'd listen to Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and those folks in the park. Later, living around SF I'd hear Boz Scaggs, Huey Lewis, Jerry Garcia, etc. It was awesome.

Someday I'll post my story of hanging with Steve Jobs and Woz in a garage in Palo Alto. Good Times!!!

Flo said...

Isn't is amazing how things happen. Who knew at the time those folks you were hearing were going to end up where they did??

When I was a child my sister used to take me to New York and we'd listen to Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and those folks in the park. Later, living around SF I'd hear Boz Scaggs, Huey Lewis, Jerry Garcia, etc. It was awesome.

Someday I'll post my story of hanging with Steve Jobs and Woz in a garage in Palo Alto. Good Times!!!

Bigun said...

Comm's a groupie.

Lots of great stuff came out of that time period. I like today's alternative rock, but not as much as late 80's and early 90's.

Name dropper.

Winz Photo said...

And your not a Dead Head? My aunt dated The Boss and he went to school with my uncle, I remember watch Dave Mathews Band at Millers and on The Roof before they made it big.

Bolder said...

i'm glad you invested in some music.

there will always be someone talkin' about somethin'...

but, music is good for your soul.

how 'bout 85-15?

Spokane Al said...

A great post Comm. It is amazing how so many of us have music as a major portion of our lives. And what is interesting to me is that each of us, some older and some younger, have a completely different set of bands that were and still are special to us.

Fumo Santo said...

I once had lead singer of a washed out Cheap Trick grab my sunglasses out of my hand and wear them on stage for a song at the annual Fourth of July festival in Hoffman Estates, IL.

And oh yeah, I saw a triple bill of Survivor, REO Speedwagon and 38 Special in Rockford, IL.

Where does one go from there?

Phil said...

Sweet - the only thing your missing is a sub-pop t-shirt and an IMDB credit for your role in "Singles"

Brent Buckner said...

Yeah, I love it when a nexus comes together.

Thanks for the look in.

21stCenturyMom said...

I was friends with a woman who was married to a backup musician who toured with Bowie. Unfortunately we were not in touch at the time. I did visit her when he was out with Duran Duran. I don't that holds much cachet, though. I wasn't even a fan!

Good times in Seattle.

Iron Pol said...

Hmmm, music. I was in a Navy school in Florida when I found out The Ramones were coming to a small club. Unfortunately, the show was the night before a VERY important test in school. Sadly, I did the only thing I could. SKIP STUDYING and go see THE RAMONES! If 16 weeks didn't get me ready for the test, one night wouldn't do any good.

My wife and I met at a bar where we had both gone to see a little known bar band named Vertical Horizon. That was a good while before Everything You Want.