Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Titles and labels

I was watching American Psycho the other night. For many reasons one of my favorite movies and the book is even better. There is much concern amongst the males in the movie over business cards and whose is the best, since they are all Vice-Presidents.

It made me think that I have employee's who call themselves a VP of this or that, as if the title conveys something. I suppose I am a VP in the very company that I helped create but in ten years hadn't even thought I could be a VP. I seldom use the term 'Partner', though my other partners prefer it and the woman who does my business cards lists it.

People ask me what my title is and I say something funny like, "My son calls me daddy, my wife called me an wingnut this morning, and my partner called me Atilla the Hun last week." I have been called many labels that I really enjoy; soldier, Sir, son, husband, daddy, friend, ironman.

Labels are a funny thing, one man's janitor is another's maintenance engineer. One man's I.T. guy is another man's God of the Universe. And they are always changing based on our likes and hobbies. I haven't rocked climbed in ten years, can't really consider myself that anymore. Shot-King from my days in the bar are far behind me. Did any of you have a title or nickname in college or with a group of friends that you are so glad not be associated with anymore?

Titles and labels I guess are things that people put on others to define them. But if you could put one on yourself what would it be? What would you want it to be? What phrase would describe you as you want to be seen?

I suppose for me, "husband, father, friend." I even like 'Life Athlete. ' Thats catchy.



11 comments:

Bigun said...

Life Athlete is WAAAAAY better than Life Partner. Don't ask, don't tell...

Spokane Al said...

I think you could easily add good human to your short list.

greyhound said...

I was "Dr. Spock" or simply "Brain" in school. Now I am just trying to perfect the art of "friend"

21stCenturyMom said...

I've had a lot of titles and nicknames. Some made me feel good and some hurt my feelings. I've had all sorts of professional titles including VP. Now I prefer no title at all. I'm just a Mom, friend, volunteer, athlete, manager, person who has your back if you are a good person or will rake you over the coals if you are a bad person. But then that's kind of a mouthful, isn't it?

stronger said...

You mean I could call myself a maintenance engineer???

I gave up my "SFB" title a couple of years ago and boy did that feel good!

Laurie said...

I prefer naughty nicknames ;)

Bolder said...

i bestowed upon you from the beginning of blog 'UCMS Commodore'

accept your title of 'UnCommon Man'!

Di said...

My newest fave is Tri Sherpa - that makes me a wife, a friend and supporter all in one.
Friend - one I work hard at. Friends are precious and I want my friends to know I value them
Poet
Photographer/journalist
I'm sure there are others...we won't go there.

Wendy said...

Taxonomies are funny things. We need them, but we also struggle with them. At least I do. And describing oneself is often the hardest thing to do. At least it is for me ...

Cindy Jo said...

OMG! Not only is that one of my favorite movies, but the business card scene is the BEST. I knew SO many people like that when I was an attorney (in a previous life)!!! I'm so glad I don't have to be around that B.S. much anymore.

And I have 2 neighbors which are VPs of banks. Pretty much everyone at the bank who isn't a teller is a VP. LOL!

Tri-Angle said...

Not a description inasmuch as a play on my last name.

I've been called Shitter since I don't know when......

Even by the parents of my college roomies