Wednesday, May 30, 2007

A kid like love

Yesterdays lunch was sitting in my gut all afternoon making me nauseas. Then Coach Nick, I swear was trying to drown me in the endless pool. Between the food and the water I was heading to the track with trepidation. There was a moment about half way through where I dropped from my fast pace to my IM "just keep moving gait" when Glen showed up. It gave me some time to get some water and get my GI distress under control.

Our resident speedy, Todd, kept spying the high school football team doing 40's for time a few feet away, listening to the constant shouts of "5.0, 5.32..." Coming from the coach. Todd began reminiscing his own high school youth, he is 42 years old and he said he could go under 5 seconds, so I challenged him to ask the coach for a split while I did my bleachers. He walked up to the coach, who must have been the same age and as I trotted down the stairs I watched him sprint down the track.

"4.90" Said the coach.

I gave him a whoop and yelled down, "You just beat most of the teams speed and your three times older!"

It made me think about how fortunate we are to be in the shape we are in. Here I am running bleachers while my pal runs a 40 yard dash for time with a bunch of kids looking on that could be our sons.

As we finished up our workout and the sun was going down, the three of us sat and joked and joshed. It felt good to feel like a kid again and as we eventually walked to our cars I realized every time I sit with my team mates and talk about the training or racing we just did together,
I feel like a kid.

4 comments:

The Big Cheese said...

Twelve years ago I ran a 4.9. When I am 42 I hope I can run a 9.4.

Athena Misty, aka "GeekGirl" said...

I think I know the feeling. I ran down a 13-year-old a few weeks ago. I didn't quite catch him but I ran after him until he finally gave up. I was high for days.

Bolder said...

it's all good bleacherman!

Bigun said...

What was your time, speedy Gonzalez?