Wednesday, March 9, 2005

Sleepy?

It is amazing what fitness can do to your body. It increases metabolism, it stregthens muscles, decreases body fat, improves posture, not mention increasing self esteem and confidence. It also makes me sleep less.

I used to really enjoy the fact that I could get by on only two or three hours sleep, I could watch movies late at night and never miss a minute of exercise or study. Of course at that time I only had three national channels and two locals on my 10" b/w tv plugged into the wall.

Now unless I am completely exhausted from energy output I average five hours. Once a week I will get seven if I am lucky. If I have to get up to change my son or get water I usually can't get back to sleep, I am also cursed with being a lite sleeper. God Bless my wife who would sleep 12 hours because she can and do so during a monsoon.

So I have a morning ritual that starts at 0400 when I get up. I spend 15 minutes bemoaning the fact that its 0400 and I am awake, then get dressed and go for a thirty minute run. Around 0500 I am back and spend at least 30 minutes reading the bible and or a business book and using prayer and mediation to sharpen the mind. Finally a quick shower, and prep for the 'Awakening Of The Mo' (Mo being my two year old son)

This week my mornings are different. I am tapering for a race this Sunday that I may or may not do because its longer than I have currently trained. But this thing literal finishes a 1/2 mile away, thats almost a runner's dream. The normal a.m. runs I have stopped this week to make sure I don't pull any muscles or get shinsplints from being too tight. (I don't stretch much in the morning) . So this week I have extra energy, more time and less sleep. I really should do this race so I can at least bank on a long night sleep that night.

No comments: