Friday, March 18, 2005

Missed opportunity...

There is a sprint Tri in Scottsdale this weekend. I had toyed with the thought of doing it last week but my wife had a meeting scheduled the same day and it just wouldn't have worked out. Then the meeting is canceled.

So instead of participating I am going to watch. I actually like watching tri's more than road running races, more going on. How people mark their transitions, different ways to dress, bike types. Its just a fascinating experience.

The human emotion is awesome. Its so easy to watch a sport on television or even at a pro game live but you are seeing people at the best at what they do. At triathlon or road races you see mostly, I would guess, people doing it for the first time. The adrenaline of the experience, the mental gymnastics of if their choice of clothes or how they look or if they will finish all read on the face of the athlete.

Its a beautiful thing and no matter the distance, life changing. Its a nomenclature that is forever attached to their life. Like Mother, daughter, giving heart, hard worker, triathlete.

3 comments:

White Salamander said...

where/when is this event? I would also like to go and watch an triathlon up close.

Flatman said...

Talk about summing up emotions... I am training for my first sprint distance in May. I feel all of the things you mentioned and more: will my transitions work out, can I handle swimming with that many people without drowning, will I blow up on the bike, can I run after swimming and riding? I am really excited, but nervous at the same time. Your blog and others like yours are helping me experience these things before hand and I believe you guys are helping me more than any coach would...thanks!

Flatman

Wil said...

Good point about being a spectator. In fact, I wish they'd have more televsion broadcasts of triathlons during the off season (or even in season!). I've only been able to find media on Kona, and of course that's not exactly the typical race.