Monday, March 28, 2005

A relapse of the Common Man

I went through the whole Easter 'season', with nary a temptation to dip into the Hallmark/Hersery Multi-Industrial-Complex. Meaning, I didn't buy a bunch of chocolate to binge on. In fact in a sense of accomplishment I only ate two Cadbury Caramel Eggs and one cupcake.

Now this is an accomplishment because I feel I am a compulsive overeater. I love to eat. Which I why I also love to run and do other fitness activities. So going into Easter dinner I felt like I was ahead on runs (three monster weeks of training and racing) and pitching a three hitter on junk food (to use a baseball analogy). Little did I consider that the bottom of the ninth line up was stacked against me.

We went my partners house for a family and friends gathering and his wife is a gourmet chef. All the food was prepared like a five star resturant so it was creamy and spicy and way to tempting to avoid it all. I get through appeitizers with only half a micro brew, a few sips of madras', and a few grilled zucchini's. Then BAM, the blackened salmon and scalloped potatoes hit the table and I lost total objectivity. The potatoes had some French, smelly, white cheese, that tasted delicious but wrecked havoc on my system. The salmon was so perfect but blackened is a quite a few leaps beyond my normal seasoning. Afterwards, I was able to avoid the vino but not the Maduro cigar.

By now I have come to the understanding that my body will not be ready for my 0400 run so I have a piece of homemade apple pie and a piece of homemade pecan pie, Mistress Carol made both. I felt I did good portion wise but two small slices still equal a one full plate.

Last night and this morning my system is still in intestinal distress. I think I eat, for the most part, very healthy. But it doesn't matter if you eat healthy or crappy it all comes down to calories if you want to lose weight and I simply have to constantly battle to not eat too much, even of a good thing.

However when the typical dinner is extra lean meat or chicken with rice and veggies or pasta and then drop rich, creamy and also blackened food into my system, man oh man do I need to eat fruit and veggies today.

I hope that all of you had a good weekend and ate as well as you could. I have looked to this week as the beginning of my second phase in my 2005 training and I am super motivated to hit it hard. My body and mind needed a break after completing a race every weekend this month, but felt that CMS cost me the game last night.

4 comments:

White Salamander said...

CMS have must been thick in the Valley of the Sun over the weekend as I too had my bouts with it. Mine came in the form of some Evil Jungle Princess and heaps of white rice from Osha's (a new Thai place I wanted to try)

Glad to see you are willing to let it go and are now rededicated and ready to hit it even harder.

White Salamander said...

CMS have must been thick in the Valley of the Sun over the weekend as I too had my bouts with it. Mine came in the form of some Evil Jungle Princess and heaps of white rice from Osha's (a new Thai place I wanted to try)

Glad to see you are willing to let it go and are now rededicated and ready to hit it even harder.

Wil said...

Holidays are rough! And pecan pie would trip up the best of us. Tomorrow's another day - don't sweat it!

Flatman said...

Man, you sound like a carbon copy of me. I have no willpower when it comes to really good food. I don't mean the normal stuff. I mean special occasion food. Maybe I should swear off going to family dinners...would that make anyone mad?

F.M.