Thursday, March 10, 2005

Finish Transition

Articles and chapters have been devoted to how to prepare and establish a transition area for triathlons and other races. In pure running races there really is no transition because you simply walk back to your car with your loaf of bread they handed you, maybe an unfinished yogurt and a bottle of water.

Regardless of what your event is you should have a 'finish transition'. Here is mine for example. After a race the first thing I do once I am out of the shoot is hit the port-a-loos. There is usually no line at this point as everyone else is busy getting goodies or to elated to think about relieving themselves. Then I enjoy the vendors and partake of the goodies and soak up the atmosphere.

The 'finish transition' begins once I get back to my truck. I open all my windows, rear slider and sunroof and turn on the radio. As strange as this my sound, I crank up the Oldies radio station, as loud as my stock speakers allow. Its the most non-offensive music and very similar to what is played at events anyway. Oldies music seems weird but it helps maintain the surealness of the moment, post race, pre life.

Then I pull out my ditty bag and sit on the tailgate. In my bag I have a previous race shirt to change into and take off my shoes and socks to let my feet air out. Oh, don't worry I have my most comfortable sandals to slip into, its tradition. By now people are walking by and smiling and commenting on the music and good vibrations. Plus its usually still early in the morning and after a good run the world just seems a little bit better.

I pull out a water bottle and empty a Gatorade Recovery powder into it. I pull a sandwich and a piece of fruit out of the bag and enjoy some calories, soaking up the scenery.

Its a great way to transition from the euphoeria of a race and completion of a goal back into the real world of cell phones, sacrifices and proirities. Its important to realize and recognize when you do something right. The run may or may not have gone how you wanted but when you challenge yourself you have recognize the accomplishment and savior it properly.

A 'finish transition' is just as important as any other step in your race day.

No comments: