Wednesday, March 23, 2005

A Double Life

Most people don't understand the frustrations of a runner or triathlete. The normal Common Man Syndrome sufferer can't equate marathons or ironmans, even 5ks and sprint events as the same as say competitive football, baseball or basketball. They can physically understand the bone crunching of football or the exertion of hitting, catching and throwing a baseball, but not the mental fortitude of swimming for miles, uncomfortably riding for hours and then running on a system more run down than it has ever been before.

Most common folk understand they don't have the ability to play at a professional level but for a very small investment of money and even less in time, they can throw a spiral, hit a ball or make a basket with the other similarly challenged folks in their circle of CMS supporters. How many have, even, a rusty ten speed to use, or when was the last time they swam farther than the two strokes it took to tip over their buddy on the floaty in their pool? The majority of people have a 'running shoe' but when was the last time it was used for that purpose?

Football players can suck on oxygen between sides. Baseball players get a marginal period of physical and mental downtime during each part of an inning. When does a triathlete get any benefit of outside assistance during the swim, bike or run portion of an event, even the down times (transitions) are practiced to perfection to shave time off?

But what a great competitive venue us runners and triathletes have going for us. When would Joe Football ever get to play on the same field at the same time as Joe Montana? When would Sally Soccer ever get to play opposite Mia Hamm? The answer to both is never. But any novice triathlete could easily enter a race that Tri-Geek Diva 2005 Jessi Stensland is also competing in.

I love to lift weights and pound the iron, I have done it my whole adult life. Yet I would consider myself as much a runner (and now triathlete) as anything. In my profession all analogies are based on coaches, players or teams, because there is something universally understood about contact sports, player stats and how to manage a team to champion status. Yet for as much as I have read books, listened to tapes and watched video's of people like Bill Belichick, John Wooden (the greatest coach of all time, IMHO) and Jon Gruden, no one ever mentions George Sheehan.

My business partners and co-workers have no concept of a ninety minute run or a three hour training ride. We have and had pools in our clubs yet no one but myself would be seen doing laps. A few understand the personal competition I put myself through to run a marathon or train for an adventure race events, but if it dosen't fit into the pre-molded form of a football, baseball or basketball most dismiss it as mish mash or a diversion from real exercise.

For all of you out there who work in a place or have a circle of friends that don't recognize your efforts in a 'fringe' sport like running or triathlons, I say UNITE! Welcome to the blog that understands your frustration. I feel your pain, so to speak. From a personal point of view, I accomplished a dream fitness goal a few days ago and yet I have barely spoken of it outside my house. The numbers on my legs and arms are still visible enough to notice and when a co-worker asked "What are those for?", I remarked I did a triathlon last Sunday (with much pride in my voice.) His next question was, "Hey what kind of running shoes are those?"

People, I am in the fitness industry! It just goes to show that our collective personal suffering is definitely uncommon.

3 comments:

White Salamander said...

Very Interesting and thought provoking in terms of the totally different mindset between triathlons and tradition team sports.

What? You have lap pools at Pure Fitness!?

Why oh why did I join Bally's! No pools! :(

Wil said...

Good points, another reason why seeking out a team is a good plan. Community is important, even in individual sports like this.

Russ said...

Sometimes, I wonder why I put myself through the things I do. But at the end of the event or workout, I have my answer.