Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A shot

I felt like I got tricked on my last day at the clinic. Let me just say that spending six hours a day for two straight days with three highly qualified doctors is enough to make anyone's head spin. Mine was crazy spinning. The questions, the comments, the upcoming bill, of course the tests themselves, all led me to long bouts on my back, looking at the ceiling of my room and wondering, "Do I really need this?" I could simply NEVER workout again and most likely be just fine. Except for, you know, turning into a big fat pig and feeling like I was missing a body part.

But the last day was a cruel unintentional trick on me. The previous two days I had been hooked up to an IV drip the whole time I was there along with other sticks and pokes. I hate needles. I have mentioned before that I get anxiety attacks when I see needles for me. Even if someone walks by with a needle I ask, "Is that for me?" The second day ended with several shots to my back and buttocks. Like a sick optometrist, he would stick a finger in my back and ask, "Is it more tender here, or here?" Where ever it was most tender is where I got a needle in my back. But I was told the third day would not involve any more needles. They lied.

The last day started with acupuncture, which is not as bad for me as needled syringes. I was told I might feel a quick electrical shock at my ankle target as it was a spot attached to the chi of my kidneys. I was expecting the typical prick and slight twist that usually comes with each insertion. Yikes! It felt like I touched a light socket. I kid you not it was that strong and went away as fast. The body is an amazing thing. Thank god, it was only one stick that would do that.

I also found out that I was going to get a liver detox flushed through my IV. I held up my arms, smirked and told them I didn't have an IV in me today. That's when the other doctor came in the room with a tray. Dirty trick.

A side effect of the detox, mostly composed of anti-oxidants, was a massive headache. I was nauseous. I gagged a couple times. I wasn't allowed Tylenol, god forbid I ask for Advil. It lasted far into the day and into my flight back. I was crippled. I was told that the headache was commiserate with the level of detox so I guess I needed it.

I don't know what was worse for me, the IV needle in my arm or the hatchet in my head. Again I could just NEVER workout again and be just fine. That couch was starting to look mighty comfy...

6 comments:

Wendy said...

No pain, no gain?

Flatman said...

I have had one of those so called "detox headaches" (probably not at the level yours was, but still...) and they are horrible. Something like having a migraine while at a rock concert...

Feeling better?

stronger said...

Yeah, and I could have moved back to California. ;)

Sometimes there is only one option...no matter the cost, no matter the pain.

Bigun said...

If I detoxed, my head would explode. Out of it would come years of cupcakes, cola, and donuts. mmmmm....donuts....

LBTEPA said...

Ouch. Rotten :(
I reckon the couch would stay6 attractive for, maybe 3 days??

Jana said...

Hey, we got caught in that storm from your previous post! I put some pics on my blog. Crazy weather! Sorry you missed Mountain Man. It was fun by all! You be good!