Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Let it blow, let it blow...

If you have spent any time in the military you may have read the title as you sang the Jody,

Let it blow,
Let it blow,
Let the cold wind blow,
From the east to the west,
3rd Platoon is the best.

Last night a microburst hit Casa de Comms. It only lasted about 15 minutes but the winds were close to 60 mph and a weather gauge in the area showed almost an inch and a half of water fell in that time.

Looking through the rear of the house we could see the rain and wind pick up dramatically, until it went horizontal. It sounded like a frieght train in a tunnel. What was slightly surreal is that on the horizon the sun was still setting and the sky was a dirt brown, so the back drop was not your typical gray stormy stuff.

I thought I had left a window cracked in my car so I went outside, and the street was a river. I called Mighty Mo over and stood in my gutter which was a torrent up past my calves. He declined to do the same.

We lost power a few minutes later, (who won American Gladiator the triathlete or Brick?) that lasted for several hours. The wind snapped wood and steel power poles like twigs trapping several cars. In my neighborhood I saw several down trees and more snapped limbs. My garbage can is missing.

We got out the candles and a few flashlights. I felt Mighty Mo would feel safer with a torch in his hand. He decided to check all the doors and windows to make sure they were secured and that no water was leaking in. After satisfied that the house was battened down, he called Grandma to make sure she was save or needed anything. My parents live about ten miles away and it didn't rain there.

For his first real situation in a 'weather crisis', Mighty Mo did really well. Very brave for a five year old.

In two powerful storms this monsoon season we have now equaled the entire rain fall of 2007.

4 comments:

Flatman said...

MO is da man. Could you send a few inches of rain our way...jeez. I think my yard is on fire.

Spokane Al said...

There is the difference between northwest weather and that of the southwest. Everything seems to be extreme in you part of the woods while up here things are much more mellow with fewer spikes.

Fumo Santo said...

As always, I was in my spa admiring the lightning that so often strikes the East Valley, hoping that the rain would somehow move in our direction. Alas we ended up with nothing out here in the West except for a good light show.

Maybe tonight will be different...

Wendy said...

Mo rocks. But he also has great role models!