Thursday, July 31, 2008

Control what you can

In the ever increasing effort to be something more than I am, nutrition is a part of my foundation I must often strengthen. I am sure the doctors in Seattle will have something to say of my plans but I like to hash things out online.

My normal eating without watching numbers, is most closely associated with The Zone diet, 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. After IMAZ this has skewed a bit higher in the carbs and fat as I let myself indulge for a while.

I am not an Atkins Diet guy and I like what the Paleolithic Diet For Athletes offers but regardless of their self supported claims, I believe a diet too high in protein is detrimental to my kidneys. I am a proponent of Volumetric eating, filling your stomach with fluids like water or soup or low calorie vegetable/fruit servings before eating regular meals so that I get full faster.

I have done enough long term self testing over the years to know what hurts my body and what my body could care less about taking in. I know dairy is a liability for me, I am somewhat intolerant of milk and thankfully ice cream. (If I was not scared of eating ice cream I'd be a lot heavier today). I know that my body can care less if I drink a couple diet cokes a day. A year without it and changing nothing else, I felt exactly the same and lost no weight.

Truth be told I eat pretty good but I eat to much. Portion control is my downfall. Well that and impulse eating late at night. I am a top heavy eater, meaining I can eat more calories at night than during the day. I can go long hours without eating or drinking during the day which is also not good for my kidneys.

The changes I will be attempting with my nutrition are pretty simple. Eat small portions. Eat often. Drink water every hour. Eat lean meats. Eat more vegetables. Eat more fruit. I mean this could not be more basic.

Alcohol is already dramatically reduced. And I don't have the sweet tooth I used to, though it may still cause me some problems. I love sandwhiches so whole wheat bread remains in my program as will some rice but I will manage those down from current totals. I love pita and hummus. I am going to start working around pasta as much as possible. I love potatoes but they are not seen very often. I can eat cheese but if I take them out of my sandwhiches and off my pasta toppings, that will solve 75% of my intake. Have no fear of Vitamin D deficency. Because of the testing in Seattle I am on 4,000 IU's daily.

Its a long road to health and the physcial manifestation of it is seldom indicative of a positive internal diagnosis. I have none many people who look overweight be in significantly better shape than skinny people. I know model perfect bodies with inside syou wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

I know that when I get my insides right the outsides follow. I suppose that goes for more than just my nutrition but also my mental and spiritual health.

6 comments:

Mommymeepa said...

Sounds like you on the right path with your nutrition. I have a hard time with late night eating too, so sometimes I go to bed at 9pm just so I won't eat.

Also, I am way more overweight than my sister, but could workout circles around her, so I know what you mean there.

Keep up the great work!!

Bolder said...

well said.

i think this is equally important for those of us who are past their 'A' event...

as the volume ramps down, the importance of nutrition for active health ramps way up...

Fumo Santo said...

Man, nutrition is such a challenge. You seem to follow the same pattern as I do as in a 'top heavy eater'. I find that when I'm occupied with work during the day, I don't focus so much on cravings. It's at night when I pile on the calories, and my biggest challenge is avoiding that 10:00pm bowl of cereal.

Jackie just had and allergy test done which opens up the door to eliminating carbs since it was discovered she's allergic to potatoes among other foods (if she can't eat them, nor will I unless I sneak out for a midnight In n Out Burger run!).

Good luck with that challenge and work on the inside!

Trigirl 2007 - Québec said...

A little trick to make sure you drink water all through the day: a bottle that you carry everywhere with you. I always have my 32oz Nalgene bottle with me.

tarheeltri said...

I'm trying to manage my portions as well this year. It helped me trim down closer to Ironman weight without all the training, but here it is 1:30 am and I'm eating a sandwich and reading blogs. I can never sleep after a good evening run. Hang in there man! You're on the right track.

Mary Sunshine said...

Hi! Happy belated Birthday!

yup, night eating, trying to get the food plan right, trying to reach goals and stay healthy...I understand. I think of you often as I approach my IM.

WISHING YOU MANY MANY HAPPY YEARS!

Mary