Wednesday, July 9, 2008

On top of it all

I am convinced the only thing worse than a summer head cold is meeting with lawyers. Having to deal with both on the same day has pretty much driven me to the bottom of a Robitussin bottle.

Thankfully all I had to do was drop off documents that were subpoenaed for someones personal claim. As I was being notarized Mr. Shyster Lawyer asked the notarizer to make a copy of a single page. She got up to do so and Mr. SL realizing she was occupied with me, said, "Don't worry, I will have my receptionist do it."

I looked up from the table and said, "Why can't you copy it yourself?"

Could.Have.Knocked.The.Guy.Over.With.A.Feather.
I thought the young lady doing the notary was going to cry in joy.

Mr. SL walked out of the room looking more wystful than angry. The notary whispered a "Thank you", as if it was usual for Mr. SL to order people around like lackys. I suppose this goes back to my Chivalry post last week. Also, of the three prayers Mighty Mo's has memorized, one is, "A Mann protects the weak." Indeed.

I just can't abide by people in power who walk over others, subjegating them. Any effing moron can lift a copier cover and hit a button. To ask his receptionist to do it when he is doing nothing for twenty seconds and is already up, is ridiculous and needed to be addressed.

Mr. SL came back as if nothing was the matter, lawyers have the best poker face, we had a rather nice conversation about the documents, he had another receptionist validate my parking on the way out and walked me to the door shaking my hand. I really have nothing (nice) to say to lawyers, as I think everything you say to them is admissable in court, so as I shook his hand in leaving I said, "Hope the case goes the way you want."

It was at this point that he got a very powerful look in his eyes, like a lion having finished off half a zebra, and I quickly put the glass door between us. Being sick today has not made me braver. Maybe a bit more grumpy though.

6 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I trust your illness is not caused from you missing sleep from getting up each day three hours before it is time to go to work - (humor).

Get better but keep the attitude.

White Salamander said...

way to put him in his place.

Flatman said...

"he got a very powerful look in his eyes, like a lion having finished off half a zebra..."

I know that look.

Mommymeepa said...

HA I love it!! Way to put him in his place. Feel better soon.

21stCenturyMom said...

I'm glad you got that guy off his duff and gave the notary a thrill - good show!

On the other hand everyone hates lawyers until they need one. After that you either love them or hate them more.

Paulie said...

I have to speak up in defense of the lawyer. I'm a lawyer and know from experience that most lawyers at any firm of a significant size are drilled early on to never make their own photocopies. It has nothing to do with being too good or too important to make copies. It has to do with the fact that a lawyer's time is expensive to the client, and the client doesn't want to be paying by the minute for the lawyer to be making copies. Any and all tasks that can be done by staff should be deligated to staff because the client isn't billed for their time directly. This is simple economic efficiency.