Thursday, June 19, 2008

Not stupid

Okay, (big sigh) I am working out today. Yes I know that I recently just posted that my training has been revoked by the doctors because I was being to aggressive and the heat has caused me some issues. But, I was also told to be concerned about my general fitness and health and as my brutha Bolder put it, "They just want you to maintain your health, not move up any fitness levels."

Today I am going to swim. A 1,000 yard open water swim that normally takes me about 18 minutes and I will take it very slow finishing in around 22 minutes. I will be wearing a long john wet suit and have a bug out point. I promise to drink water while swimming. The water temps here are still pretty cool so I will not overheat while in the water.

I am not trying to push any extremes, nor was I trying to do so before. Without that first feedback from my doctors I was doing what I figured was pretty easy to me. I did cancel training when I felt my body was already down and I tried to be appreciative of how I had to recover.

Two of my tests will be turned into the labs next week with one more on the way to me. Hard to believe that Megan, who donated a kidney the same week mine failed is already back to races and training.

7 comments:

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

dude... don't make me come out there.
;-)
p.s. *dialing Carol....*

Flatman said...

^ that's what I'm sayin'.

J~Mom said...

Hey Comm, I will be out at BJC today so I will look for you if that is where you are swimming.

Jen_runs said...

Movement is good. Look after yourself though Comms; that's the only body you are gunna get!

Wendy said...

Who used the s-word???

Here's the thing, Comm's. Not namin' names (or incriminating myself here) but some of us have different ideas about what is extreme than the population at large! ;-)

I know you are doing your best, and that it's extraordinarily difficult to rejig your outlook when that outlook has taken you so far. It is orders of magnitude different!

But it's really not even fair to compare Megan's recovery to yours. Donating one of two healthy kidneys is a great and wondrous sacrifice, but also vastly different than dealing with two kidneys that can't get the job done.

Trigirl 2007 - Québec said...

Hold the horse! Try to keep (or develop?) your zen attitude!!!
Cheers and drink water to my health as I will for you!

M said...

hey comm-
here's the thing though - i listened to my doctors - if they said no, then it was no. i only went as far as my body would let me, then i laid off. sometimes for days at a time. and wendy has a point - functioning on even one healthy kidney is WAY different than a total shutdown of both. and a liver. at that point, you and i are playing two totally different games - your's is harder, hands down.

having said that, i have to give you mad credit for taking the approach you have. after having so many injuries over the years as i have, i know how frustrating it can be to watch others go out and race and train while sitting on the side lines, not to mention the psychological toll it takes just not working out.

but you are smart - you have led so many people down the path to health, and now you are forced to heed your own advice. to me, it seems that you are really taking care of yourself, stopping when you body says "stop" and listening to the guidence of professionals.

i know that you know at some point, you will return. you WILL. it's a given. so if sitting out one season of racing gets you back to where you want to be, then that's cool.

you are a strong man of mind and body. and at some point, the two will start to work together again.

always thinking about you over here...