Thursday, June 12, 2008

Comes around

Ya know, regardless of the torture I put my body through I have a pretty okay life. Its not completely recession proof, Mistress and I can argue, Mo can ignore me, work can suck, training can be none existant but nevertheless I and my family have a really good life. Really we're blessed.

I think part of my optimism is that I like to help people and I am completely surprised when I get something in return. The other day I was staring at my desk for hours. really up to my neck in work. A maintenance employee asked if he could leave his new laptop in my office instead of his truck because it was too hot. Of course. I mean c'mon, that's easy.

He was working on the roof it was over 100* up there so he'd come down, sit in my office in the back and we'd chat though he knew I was swamped. After some complaints he had about the laptop I offered to take a look at it and ended up spending a couple hours cleaning up the programs, loading up new software from my personal stash and optimizing his system to be compatible with the rest of the company.

He was really taken aback. We're a modest size company but he comes from a blue collar background where in his past someone like me wouldn't talk with him or offer to do something nice for him. That kind of sucks, I'll talk to anyone without fear. But I don't think he ever expected me to know so much about the Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs he breeds or that I'd know so much about firearms and teach hhim about some of the psychology behind different NATO weapons. Then jump on a laptop and go all Geek Squad on him. I probably saved him about $300 in software, set up and training and he was really grateful.

A couple days later he came back with a gift. A thoughtful one actually. We'd had one of those "need a knife" moments when I was helping him and I pulled out the closest four to my desk. He pulled out a Leatherman and I've never owned one so I asked if I could use it instead of my own comparible multi-tool. The gift he gave me for helping him out with the computer was a new Leatherman.

I was pretty humbled. I suppose the morale to the story is never be afraid to make a friend or at least invest in others and you will surprised at how your paid back for being yourself.

10 comments:

Wendy said...

That's lovely Comm's!

ShirleyPerly said...

Nice story and very thoughtful of him. Having just heard about a young female jogger who was abducted and killed along a popular bike path less than a mile from where I live in Orlando, where I also often run & sometimes bike, I needed to read something uplifting. Thanks.

Cliff said...

Commodore,

Thanks for the sharing. You are a good man. Keep it smooth.

stronger said...

You're that kind of guy and that's why we love you. But it also says a lot about the guy who thought enough about what you did for him to return with a gift- but not any gift- a gift he paid attention that you'd like. Awesome story.

momo said...

really, really nice, comm. you are a giver and the world needs more of those. hugs to you!

Jenny Davidson said...

Good story!

Duane said...

Great post dude!

Tyger Lily said...

This is my first time commenting to your blog. Thank you for reminding me that there are really good people still out there! You are an incredible man!

kt said...

Love that story! We already know what a good guy you are but what a kind person you met. :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

You are a good man - one shld never get too busy to chat with the troops.

For a moment there, I tot u might have gotten a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy. :-) They are absolutely handsome dogs aren't they?