Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A New Shiny Thing: Vibram Five Finger Shoes

I fell in love with Vibram in the Army. It is a company that makes soles for combat boots. If you have never been in the military or worn those types of boots they are also very common in civilian application for hiking boots and multi-use shoes. They are very well known for comfort and shock absorption.

Vibram now has its own 'shoe' called the Five Finger. Time Magazine called it one of the best inventions of 2007.

Look pretty weird, huh? Its essentially a glove for the feet with the soles laser cut so that there is the full and natural movement of a bare foot. They fit like a second skin and the bottoms have a very tactile, sticky feel to them.

The primary applications are for kayaking, boating, yoga, instances where bare feet are natural. It has been 'co-opted' by barefoot runners who need just a little bit more than zero protection. If this shoe actually catches on with the public, the Nike Free will drop off the face of the earth by the end of the year.

There are four versions. The Classic is a model without a strap over the foot. This first model was made for yoga and boating situations. When feedback came in that people where using them outdoors they felt like they would slip off when crossing streams so the Flow and KSO (Keep Stuff Out) models came on line. I purchased the Sprint which works for all the above applications plus appeals to runners. Only color available to me was Pearl and Orange which is fine by me but really wanted the Olive Drab military looking version. The Red version below is a bit boisterous for me. Screams, athletes foot.

I got them because I enjoy being barefoot but have tender feet. Walking outside barefoot is really not something I can do without pain. I own slippers and crocs and sandals but I think shower shoes are a terribly gross fashion statement outside the house and crocs can be really hot in the summer. Also none of those are very secure to the foot and I like to know that if I have to run or react quickly I can do so without losing my footwear. My intended purpose is to use them around pre/post endurance training and races; to & from swim workouts, before and after my rides and runs. I will also use them in the gym; the natural movement of the shoe will allow me to recruit more bio-mechanical feedback into my functional training. Of course use around the house is a foregone conclusion.

Because the shoe is not heel heavy, the wearer will walk naturally, therefore run naturally on the ball or mid foot right out of the box. For those people trying to overcome a heel strike or longer stride, this shoe would fit right in to the training regime. I think Chi or Pose runners will enjoy these the most. As someone who last year finally overcame his heel strike running style, I can say that I am a better runner now by far.

I spoke with someone who wore them for two days going through the Air and Space Museum in DC and loved them. However they are not meant to be a fully functional shoe for being on your feet all day and your body will need to adjust to them. To begin most toes are not be used to being individually sleeved and separated compared to the mitten like sock. The ankles and calves will take time to adjust to a new structural environments because the rigidity is missing but the all out force is not.

They're pretty goofy looking too. I have worn them out and get constant feedback on them. People ask if they can take pictures. Driving feels like its done barefoot. Climbing stairs is a much more tactile sensation. I can feel every rock or edge that would have had me yelping or acting like I was walking on eggs but don't suffer any of the slowness or pain I did before.

My advice is that if you are looking for a camp shoe, boating shoe, house shoe, part time exercise shoe and want to eschew the common running shoe or the trashy flip flop, try to find these. Go online first. They run in European sizes and from my experience and research they run a size lower than normal shoe wear. If you have a longer second toe (mutant) and seriously interested in trying them, some forums will have feedback on that 'condition' (mutant).

Have Fun.

13 comments:

LittleRachet said...

Wow! I totally want a pair of those!

Flatman said...

me too! although they look pretty "mutant" themselves... ;)

Fumo Santo said...

I was about to comment on the second toe being longer than the big toe, until I read you last sentence.

BTW, there's nothing mutant about it! It's called the Royal Toe, thank you! All you commoners just have to accept that :)

Bill said...

I've been eyeing them a while.

But with 4EEEE width feet, I've needed to try them on first. So ordering them has been out of the question.

REI got them in right before I deployed, so I didn't need them. I'd hate to have to walk all over these rocks with them, although I suspect they'd do fine.

Nice write-up, Comm.

dpc said...

Very cool! Never seen these before, but a couple of local stores have them. I know what I am doing this weekend!

I'm have the "commoner" second toe, but mutant 15EEEEEEEEEEE foot. They're like paddles. =;) It think the euro 45 or 46 actually works pretty well, so we will see.

Thanks for the info, Comm!

Flo said...

I've been looking at these for awhile but am hesitant to get them. Do they provide any kind of support?? Could I slip my soft orthotic into them?

Jen_runs said...

A woman I know recently did a 100k race in them!

LBTEPA said...

LOL I thought it was other people who were the mutants

Tyger Lily said...

I have been running in mine for about a month and I love them! I grew up barefoot and shoes hurt my toes when I run. They take a little getting used to but all in all I am running better! You will love them.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Very nice, but I haven't seen them in Singapore before. Would be perfect with our hot weather and love for beaches and sea sports.

'Fraid I'm one of those mutants though...

Ryan said...

Do they make these shoes for the "mutant 6th" toe?

White Salamander said...

I notice my kickboxing instructor wears these as his everyday street shoe.

Sean Dietrich said...

These are my fave shoes in the whole world.