Friday, June 20, 2008

I pity my wife

I suppose it all about perspective. I admit that given my own mental toughness I will for the most part ignore an injury to do what I want to do. The more perspective I get the easier it is to relate to what I am going through in relation to normal everyday life.

Yesterday my dad checked into the hospital for neck surgery. They cleared out some scar tissue from Vietnam (grenade injury) that was constricting movement and blood flow. Cleaned off some spurs and sort of reset everything to its proper place at its proper tension. It was a pretty long operation.

He is already out of the hospital and can start doing workouts next week.

I spent almost five days in the hospital after Ironman, two months ago, and still not cleared for 'normal' exercise. Mistress has to play a delicate dance here she sees the anger in my rise. She can't say HTFU because then I'd just retaliate with a ridiculous brick, because that's the kind of stupid guy I am. So she appeals to my perspective, "Having a fairly routine neck surgery is not the same and total kidney and liver failure. There is a big difference between dealing with pain, which drugs can handle and dealing with death, which most drugs can't handle. Your a wingnut."

There are some days I really think I may wake up with a pillow over my face with the crap I toss my wife.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

I heart Mistress!!!

(Also, I think I logic like Mistress.)

tarheeltri said...

Comm... you need to re-focus your energy on something else to completely recover. I'm re-focusing all my 2008 race objectives to instead spend 2008 raising money for what I plan to be the EPIC of all EPIC race seasons in 2009...

So far, I've lined up...

1. An extreme winter hiking adventure in January in the U.S. at a mountain that most people don't know about that has some of the most severe weather conditions in the U.S.

2. A 4.4 mile open water swim in the Chesapeake Bay

3. A fall ultra running event.

You can pretty much take the summer off, completely recover, focus on raising money for an epic 2009, and that start training in the fall with a fresh slate. If you still have problems, you can spend the cash on other things.

Having talkked to some pretty big endurance athletes in my tenure as editor here I can say you're just like them. You've got an addiction. It needs to be replaced with another addiction, a healthy one, like making money or helping a charity or something.

Jumper 2.0 said...

I have been known to get my wife a sympathy card for our anniversary! Sounds like you could do the same ;-)

Bill said...

Don't pity her. That implies that you aren't worthy of her love. And we all know that's not true.

Mistress, like Goddess, and all of the other spouses out there that stay with folks like us are truly angels.

Because we sure are the devils in their lives. ;)

Give her a hug, take her on a spa holiday and give her back at least a smidgen of the love that she's given you during these years of training and racing.

Lana said...

Awe...way to give Mistress the credit she is due! As we say down South, "Bess her heart."