Saturday, January 19, 2008

Personal Message

I received a letter from my brother. He followed in the Mann family tradition of joining the Infantry of US Army behind myself, our father, both grandfathers and then great grandfathers on back to the dawn of our country. Unlike the rest of us he has continued to remain enlisted while the rest of us became officers. He was in a terrible battlefield injury (IED) in Somalia during Operation Restore Hope. His last long deployment was just hours after 9/11. While the country was still looking for leadership and answers and the towers still smoldered, soldiers, especially citizen soldiers like my brother did not hesitate and continue to not hesitate to keep the 'Tip of the Spear' sharp.

This is his notification letter to his family and friends. But I feel, (and I hope he agrees because I didn't ask), that this letter needs to be seen by everyone as a reminder that while we struggle daily with our own issues, they really pale compared to the sacrifices soldiers and especially families of soldiers face this very day.

This is the voice of a real American soldier, not the pap portrayed on tv or by politicians. Today as you and I deal with all our issues, real and imagined, hug your spouse, pull your children close and tell them today about a soldier, (this one or one you know) who has charged into the breach for their safe future.

Dear Family & Friends,

I thought it would be best to write one all inclusive email to everyone to say that I've been activated to assist with the war effort in Afghanistan which will start sometime in July 2008.

The past week has been very difficult for (wife) and (daughter) as they try and come to grips with everything having a deployed husband and father brings. (Son) is only 3 and really doesn't understand what's going on so it's been specially difficult when he wants to continue to terrorize the house despite the somber feelings everyone is having.

For myself, I choose to draw upon the positive aspects of what is happening despite all the negative I could dwell on. My last deployment directly after 9-11, I only had 4 hours notice to leave and this time I have about 6 months. Last time I did not know the unit I was being assigned too and this time I know at least two other people and possibly a few others. Last time I was dealing with low ranking privates and soldiers who really didn't care or know how to do their job and this time I am deploying as a Drill Sergeant and will be working with Drill Sergeants who time after time have a proven record of professionalism and commitment to duty. Last time it was unclear of when I would be coming home and this time I've been told that my deployment would basically encompass one full year.

This is my mission as I understand it now; I will be going to Afghanistan and putting an Afghan Army through a basic training process similar to the one we put our U.S. soldiers through and then leading them out on patrols and missions. As my primary MOS is still Infantry and having the designation of being a Drill Sergeant, I believe this is why I have been selected for this operation. The other two Drill Sergeants in my unit being called with me are Infantry as well.

While I do not want to be away from my family, I expect that I will do my mission well. I have been in the Army now for 15 years with five of those years being Active Duty. I am confident in my ability to lead, train, and bring the fight to the enemy.

Talking with (Daughter) has been the hardest. She just turned 12 and is struggling with all the things that 12 year olds struggle with and now has to deal with this. I told her that if by me having to go to Afghanistan means that she could live in world without the fear of terrorism than it is something I'm willing to do for my family, for my friends, and for everyone else who enjoys their basic freedoms we enjoy in this country. I know it's difficult for her to understand now but hopefully as she grows older she will grow to understand not only the sacrifice soldiers make but why we make them. This soldier still gets choked up every time I hear the National Anthem I love my country this much.

There are soldiers who have spent multiple tours in Iraq and Afghanistan away from family, friends, and home. I cannot in turn be upset or selfish about my country telling me they need my specific qualifications to combat terrorism. One friend I have has been away four of the last seven years (not continuously), and hasn't seen his wife or children grow up... How can I look him in the eye and say go again because I don't want to or can't.

One major change despite my absence is (Wife), (Daughter), and (Son) will be moving to Phoenix Arizona to live with my parents. A few reasons for this is because I am taking a massive cut in pay. As I (work for a federal government agency) we have been managing living out in California but unfortunately the burden is far to great in this circumstance on an Army salary. We plan to shut down Operation Mann family in California but keep the house, minus utilities, phone, cable, Internet, garbage, etc. thus cutting many expenses and (Wife) can work in Arizona to help make up some of the difference in our cut in pay.

Some other benefits of the family moving to Arizona is that my mom does not work so she can watch (Son) while (Wife) is working. My brother and his family live by my parents and they have a son who is just one year older than (Son) and he absolutely loves playing with (Daughter) and (Son). This way my children can still have a positive male role model in their life via my brother which closely resembles their own father...just not as good looking as me of course :0) My sister in-law (Mistress) gets along with (Wife) very much and she will be a positive influence on someone to talk to and my kids love being around her as well as I know she loves them very much. When we visit it's always fun to go visit Uncle Commodore and Aunt (Mistress). So basically that's one less thing for me to worry about during my deployment in that my family will be looking after my family.

I don't see this mission being scrubbed as it is my understanding that a surge of U.S. forces are being sent to Afghanistan in the months to follow. So much attention is placed on Iraq that it almost seems that people forget we are still fighting a war in Afghanistan. None the less I would ask for all of you too keep my family in your thoughts, your prayers, and/ or your well wishes. As the time of my departure comes closer, I will send you all our new contact information in case you want or need to get a hold of (Wife). I don't know what my Internet access will be but if I or (Wife) will send you my overseas address as well.

I hope this email finds all of you well. I know this is coming out of no where as not even I anticipated this deployment. I'm sure many of us will talk later and I apologize for the long email but I wanted to answer some of the questions any of you might have with this email.

(Name Withheld)

10 comments:

Brent Buckner said...

Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for your brother's safe return. Glad you'll be doing good work on the home front 'til then.

Tri-Angle said...

Comm
I pray for your brother. Please pass along my family's thanks for his service.

stronger said...

Many thoughts and prayers with your entire family. How fortunate the kids are to have you as a role model in their father's absense- I could think of no better person to watch over my children for a year.

Spokane Al said...

Many of us have not forgotten and will never forget the sacrifices made by our military. Your brother (and all of the Mann military lineage) has my gratitude and respect.

I will be hoping and praying for his safe return.

Flo said...

Al's right, many of us never forget for one minute the sacrifices our military and their families make every day. I'll pray for your brother's safety and please thank him and his family for their service to our country.

21stCenturyMom said...

That was a great letter. I am violently opposed to the war in Iraq but I'm relieved that we are going to focus more attention in Afghanistan, a country literally run by terrorists (the Taliban).

Your brother sounds like a fine man and I'm so glad his nuclear family has your whole extended family to support them while he is away.

On the other hand, what kind of country doesn't pay its active duty soldiers enough to support their families? That part makes me sad.

Bill said...

Best of wishes to your brother and his family, Comms.

I do know that there is a need for your brother's skills there with the Afghani Army. And the sooner that they get the training they need, the sooner that they'll need us less. And that's a great thing.

Di said...

Comm, thank you for sharing your brother's letter. My sister's husband, a 23 year old marine, is on his way back to Iraq for the third time. 1 year tour. It's important to keep our soldier's voices loud and present in the community. American's NEED to hear from the soldiers rather than the press.
Thank you and many prayers to your brother and the family - everyone

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

Thanks for sharing. I am sad for you having to miss your brother for so long, yet happy that you will have his family so close by!

Enjoy the time you have with them so close!

My Life and Running said...

New to your blog... but just have to say thank you for posting this. As a military wife myself I know the mixed feelings a deployment brings. Your brother is very lucky to have you & your family to leave his loved ones behind with... I'm sure that's a huge blessing. My best wishes to you all.