Thursday, February 2, 2006

Your Invited...

I have spent a lot of time in the saddle since Sunday. 8.5 hours to be exact. That's a lot of time to think. No matter where my mind wanders to, I keep going back to Faris Al-Sultan, the winner of Ironman Arizona 2005 and Ironman World Championships in Kona 2005. Partially because I have been riding the IMAZ course, which he won on, and partially because he embodies my one of my favorite quotes, "I will bring my own weather with me."

I had never heard of Faris before IMAZ, not many people had I reckon. However in those months since I have come to really respect his competitive, take no prisoner, I don't need a chase pack to win mentality. I really became fascinated after I read this article in Outside magazine. Its short but so captured the essence of a renaissance man that balances competitive drive and a life outside the reason of his success. The line I memorized and have on several walls in my house and work is:
He balances his workouts-— up to 450 miles of cycling, 50 miles of running, and nine miles of swimming per week- —with studies toward a master's in Arabic language, literature, and history at Munich's Ludwig Maximilian University.

I think about the part in red almost everyday. Its weird to think about someonelse'ses training like that. But that is what motivates me a lot of days to just keep going farther than I think I can, and often times farther than I should.

Your Invited...

That was the subject line of an e-mail I got yesterday. Faris Al-Sultan is in Phoenix for three days and a local triathlete is having an intimate dinner party at their house for him. I am told right now there is only about a two dozen people attending. Looking at some of the names who were invited in my e-mail thread is a Who's-Who's of Arizona triathlon elites. The #1 amateur triathlete in the state, the owner/publisher of SWEAT, (a popular Arizona exercise magazine), one of the top 100 trainers in the nation and also several time Ironman finisher and then little ole me.

I couldn't stop thinking about it yesterday. I thanked my benefactor about twenty times for inviting me. I hope to have a picture taken and posted before mid-day Friday but it may take till next week.

9 comments:

Chris said...

Doesn't that make you wonder how far you could take yourself if you had the time to put in that kind of volume a week. I'm sure I wouldn't be anywhere close to Faris, but I bet I'd be a whole heck of a lot faster than I am right now. We all have so much potential that doesn't even have the opportunity to get tapped.

In any case, that's totally awesome that you got invited to that dinner party! It's not everday you get to sit down and have dinner with the Ironman World Champion. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear all about it.

stronger said...

I spend a lot of time with Faris on the bike while I watch the Hawaii IM 05 coverage. Congrats and enjoy the invitation.

Ultra Crackhead said...

I knew about Faris for a few years, not only as a consumate hottie, but as a great athlete. He does things his way and gets results. Of course, hard work has been a key component, just as it is for any champion.

You are indeed fortunate to meet the man. Send some of his energy my way!

Wil said...

What an awesome opporunity! I love the weather quote. That's going in my "inspiration" column. can't wait to read all about your encounter.

Cliff said...

What a great artcile. No limit training continues.

Steven said...

That is some serious mileage, but then look where it got him! Enjoy the dinner and try to snap a few pics to post.

Okolo said...

Wow, the blessings continue.

Really cool.

bunnygirl said...

What a cool opportunity! I can't wait to read all about it!

Bridget said...

That is just so cool! I hope you get some pics and cannot wait to hear about meeting him.