Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Racing Stripes

Run training has been decreased this week thanks to my handy dandy calf tear. As near as I can tell I began having the problem when I corrected my cycling biomechanics which put a strain on my calf, figure #2 area. The positional change in my leg stroke put pressure on the calf origin which eventually tore the muscle. I am in rehab 2-3 times a week while my body adjusts, I should be just fine in a month or two, faster if I didn't train at all for a few weeks but as my doc understands, "Who are we kidding?" Meanwhile, I still train hard and work around the condition as best I can.

The pictures you see below are the work of Dr. Simon, "The Master Of Many Therapy's" and he has saved me for one shoulder surgery and many years of back and leg pain with his hands of steel, high tech toys and miracle tape. He has been my go to guy for several years.

You will notice that he adds a Nike swoosh at the bottom so people will accept the fact that I am wearing blue tape. See we believe that a person can wear anything unappealing and get away with it if a Nike swoosh is in plain site, since everything Nike is considered couture. The real test of the theory and my manhood is if I can get away with his pink tape.



The process is called 'KT' or Kensio Taping. I swear by this method of treatment which facilitates activation of neuromuscular and circulatory systems to repair damaged tissue. It is not supportive like a knee wrap or ankle brace. The link is a very good article on how it works.

I told Simon I may have to shave my legs or stuble the hair since he is doing all sorts of rubbing, stretching and modality to my legs and is giving me Indian Burns. Last time he just laughed about my complaints and pulled out the pink tape. Sorry folks, I can concieve shaving down my leg hair but not that AND pink taping. I do that and on my Sunday ride they will be calling me Brokeback Biker. No thank you. Not that theres anything wrong with that.

So for a few more weeks I will get to show off my racing stripes. Funny thing is, I can wear this around my work and everyone understands what is going on and I don't get second glances. God I love my work. Maybe I will get the courage to strap on the pink tape for a couple of days and stuble the leg hair too, but the swoosh will have to be much bigger.

10 comments:

Flatman said...

I think it's a new fashion statement.

All the cool triathletes have the new Nike "speed stripe"!

TriZilla said...

Ah ahahahahahahaha! Brokeback Biker! That was great! You're totally right... The swoosh is very cool indeed.

Cliff said...

If you put on the pink ones u will go faster :)

Bridget said...

Okay the Nike swoosh comment really cracked me up. Be daring, go pink!

mipper said...

PINK.... go pink! it's the new manly color, doncha know? ;)

Flatman said...

I like your new header by the way!

Nytro said...

we already had this discussion, but I want to emphasize to you that if my benny comes home with pink tape on his leg... there will be no place for you to hide.

commodore nasty!

Chris said...

Is your pink tape that magical pink tape that Lance and his squad used to use when they got aches and pains during their training? Just curious.

Hope you make a speedy recovery!

Comm's said...

yes Chris I think it is the same stuff.

jp said...

it takes a real man to wear pink.

Shave those legs Comm. It will make easier when that tape comes off.