Monday, February 13, 2006

Laid Low

I wish I could blame the nor 'easter that hit last weekend on my lack of training but seeing as I live in the SW, all I have to blame is my blasted body which I am firmly convinced is staging some kind of revolt against me.

Beginning Friday my stomach started to get bloated and gurglely. I went on a easy 90 minute spin on the bike with a buddy but my body would have perfered to have been on another kind of seat. I pretty much spent the next 48 hours on the couch trying to not to move since that caused all kinds of cramping and thoughts of that other kind of seat. I had to cancel the Saturday swim and the Sunday brick. Man I wanted that brick. I may have been able to do it but I was dehydrated and under nourished by Sunday morning. However by Sunday night I relapsed and it kept my up for an extra two hours so I guess I get credit for holding back the training.

My stomach still dosen't feel right but I am going to attempt the Sunday brick today. 40 mile ride and 13 mile run.

Mistress is looking into finding me a gastrointestinal doctor since this has occured off and on for several years. I started the process by looking into food allergies a couple weeks ago but everything came back negative.

I am positive this will pass and things will be sorted out. I only missed two day of training that I should be able to make up this week. I have to get some road miles under me since I have a century plus coming up this weekend.

9 comments:

IMmike said...

Com,

What type of volume are you working on right now? I know that you said you are going through the training process for IMAz with some of your buddies. Since that's only ~2 months away, I'm guessing it's pretty high.

Anyways, my feeling is that the point of this is to overstress your body and then back off, allowing it to grow. You walk a very fine line when you are overstressing and sometimes it's easy to slip off the otherside. Sickness is actually a very good indicator of overtraining.

Give yourself a couple of days to heal and I bet you'll be back better than ever!

Kona Shelley said...

All I have to say is..Rest, rest and then rest some more..your body is trying to tell you something..trying to push through this could only make you sicker..really..take it easy and rest!!! You won't lose any fitness and it will probably make you "that" much stronger when you get back to it...well good luck anways!!

TriZilla said...

Oy, I hope you feel better soon!

Cliff said...

Rest up. Don't worry about the missed workout. What past is past. Focus on getting better.

Sean said...

I hope you get to feeling better big brother. Never enjoy hearing you're not feeling well. See you this weekend.

Bridget said...

Sounds awful, I'm sorry. Maybe it is IBS? Hope you get to the doctor soon.

tarheeltri said...

Too bad you don't live in NC. According to Trivial Pursuit we have more port a potties per square mile than any other state. Might come in handy on your ride!

Seriously, though, that's just the worst type of sickness. If you're going to ride make sure you don't let it stop you from fueling properly.

Papa Tweet said...

Dude,
I didn't realize you were down for the count when we spoke today. Looks like we both need to get better real soon if we're planning a long ride. Take care and get better.
Benny

Chris said...

Dude, it sucks to be sick. :( I hope it doesn't stick with you for very long and that you feel better soon!