Saturday, August 23, 2008

Shake Me

I have mentioned before, since the organ failure I have an unusual after affect when my body reacts to a fight or flight situation, I get a massive rush of adrenaline. Whether this be before giving a presentation, or being a spectator at a triathlon, judging a fitness contest, now even it appears watching a movie.

Friday night I went to see Death Race. Pretty good movie. Not great but a solid Jason Statham flick. It was in one of the smaller screening rooms which amplified the surround sound. The action on screen, the visual affects, the vibration coming from the bass in the sound effects really, I mean really, got me into the action. And then it started to kick up my adrenal glands, which as you can surmise by now are controlled by your kidneys and soon enough I my teeth were chattering, my arms were shaking, my body could barely contain itself.

A while after the movie and I was calmed back down, I was at a Whole foods getting some veggies for the weekend. I got a call from someone that really motivated me and the rush came back. For no reason I wanted to punch a kindly old man. My mind raced at 100 mph. I would start to walk down an aisle and realize I was moving way to fast and tell myself to slow way the eff down. I did some deep breathing and collected myself.

Now I have never had the sensation that I would actually do something terrible or irrational to someone, I am no harm to society. The point is that my internal controls are still way off and I need to be conscious of how I react to outside stimulus. Regardless if watch a race from the road or watch a movie from a chair, my body can and will create a massive energy dump.

Exciting but wow what a kick.

3 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Ooh, I love Jasan Statham movies!! I'm sorry I laughed at what happened to you at the store because it reminded me of his character in Crank. Maybe some Qigong would be worthwhile getting into?

21stCenturyMom said...

Actually, although your adrenal glands sit on top of your kidneys they are controlled/modulated via hormones from your pituitary and your hypothalamus. I have no idea what the interplay is between your kidneys and your adrenal gland but it isn't direct - there's something else going on there. I'm sure the adrenaline alters kidney function but I'm not so sure about the opposite. Have you asked your doctors about it?

Nytro said...

next time, see mama mia.

problem. solved.