Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Indulgence...


I must admit I love Sparkling water aka Seltzer water. I can't drink enough of it. Sometimes half my water intake in a day comes from sparkling H2O.

I have asked and researched, there is zero credible evidence that too much gives you kidney stones or is not a beneficial as normal water. So I continue to indulge myself. It has certainly curbed my affinity for diet Coke. I don't do the Perrier or Foo-Foo $1.89 liters. The grocery store sells 2 liters of generic stuff for less than a buck in the liqueur section, next to to the tonic and club sodas. Damn near about the only time I get to go down the beer aisle nowadays. Damn liver.

My other big indulgence is dried pineapple. I am telling you if you're trying to loss weight or eat healthy and you crave candy or something sweet, dried pineapple is damn near the best thing I have ever found to solve that fix. I get the same reaction eating that as I do a snickers bar, except it only a third the calories and completely natural. I dare you to try it.

I recently switched from extra chunky peanut butter to Almond butter. Never had it before last month. Its completely different in taste and texture but I like it. Its about the same calories and fat but the fats are all much better for you. I have found that Almond butter actually gets a bit hard when the sandwich sits in my lunch bag for a few hours. So it has also replaced my need for crispy chips. Saving calories there too.

After years of depriving and denying myself good foods for the sake of lower body fat and sustained energy, when the doctors told me to change my diet, these three things really helped me cope with not having as many beers as I might want or not going to Taco Bell. God I miss Taco Bell.

But I will discuss Taco Bell and my love of the #4: Mexican Pizza with 2 Taco Supremes, when I finally fall off the wagon. Where's the edge of the wagon, again?

10 comments:

Paulie said...

I love sparkling water. I did a taste test years ago to determine my favorite, and it was San Pellegrino. Just the right amount of mineral and bubbles not too large or too small. Good stuff. I do think it is not good for your teeth though because of the carbonic acid will strip your tooth enamel. As always, moderation in all things.

Lana said...

Dried pineapple, huh? I'll try it. I heart fresh pineapple, so maybe I'll like it dried too.

Flatman said...

Will be picking up some dried pineapple today to try.


Mmmmm...#4 is the bomb.

The (IRON) Clyde said...

Don't forget to try the new "Big Taste" taco's as well. I'm a big fan of #4 too but deviate on occasion.

Mommymeepa said...

I will definetly try the dried pineapple. Thanks for the tip. Also, a HUGE fan of Taco Bell. I'm trying to break the habit.

Fumo Santo said...

Hahaha, I've never pegged you for a Taco Bell guy. That says a lot about you Comm!

tarheeltri said...

Not a big fan of taco bell, but once ate 14 of 30 soft tacos in a "taco challenge" with two other people.

I don't eat much fast food anymore, but I am gearing up for another "taco challenge" with some doubters of my fast food eating ability.

I'll write your name on my arm as a tribute!

LBTEPA said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm dried pineapple.... I'll look out for almond butter - have you tried cashew butter? (not sure if the fats are the right sort, but it's yummy)

21stCenturyMom said...

Have you tried dried mangoe? Also incredibly sweet and delicious.

I'll leave the Taco Bell to you.

Wendy said...

I'm a sodium free club soda gal myself!

And I'll add some freshly squeezed lemon, lime or orange juice for an occasional change.