Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reminders

My life seems a constant reminder of things to not do. I have affirmations and prayers that I use to create a vision for my life the way I want it to be, but the rest of the day seems to be a liteny of thoughts telling myself, "too fast, be patient, your not cleared yet" and so forth.
I am heading out right how and going to push my HR a little bit on a short 30 minute run and perhaps a bit on a mountain bike later in the day. Nothing extreme, like say, oh 165 bmp. But nevertheless.
When I have thoughts like this I think, "Just push it a little. Don't get emotional about it and start charging up hills, its a treat to run in the woods at sunrise, not a punishment."
I had no clue that one year after not finishing Arizona that I would not finish again. I certainly had no clue what was going on with my body to that extreme, what I had been doing to it. But it showed me that, its always still there inside of me. It can lie mostly dormant for a year or years and then when I need it the least, a race, my system shuts down and I need a gallon of IV fluid.
But I apprecaite the object lesson. The whole year between those races I trained without a clue to the damage inside me. Blaming it on a virus and not realizing that I was burning my kidneys up from the inside, not only with my training but with my nutrition.
So with every workout that leads to my recovery I remind myself that I have to stay in control of every workout. I have to be adult, or mature, or wise about the choices I make when I see a short climb or pancake flat with with some prize at the end. And with that, the trees await.

6 comments:

dpc said...

Comm,

I just turned 47 back on the 4th. Today, the confrontation, relative to 20 years ago, with my age and weight have me staring down limitations on a daily basis that I never really imagined. Driving a desk, and career development in the last 15 years have really taken their toll. My mind knows the speed and fitness I once had, but my body always seems to have something else to say about that these days.

You are spot on..everyday I have to remind myself I must be mature, wise and patient with who and where I am today and know that the "prize" is what I have today, not what I had yesterday.

Afraid I have the treadmill today; no trees for me. Hope they were good! Thanks for your comments! dc

Nytro said...

take care of yourself buddy. there's only one of you!

Nytro said...

take care of yourself buddy. there's only one of you!

J~Mom said...

Sounds very wise Comm.

Bigun said...

mmmmm....pancake flats....

Wendy said...

Changing mindsets is tough, no question. But the reward is indescribably huge.