Monday, August 25, 2008

Practice the same swing

I'll use an analogy at the end of this post that might bring this piece around. The crux is that I refuse to go out to pasture as an athlete, reading my thought and actions the last four months I think that we can all recognize that inside me. I could lead a long, healthy, productive life if I simply never workout again, but this is not me. The key is through excellent medical care to define what it is I can actually do and be then be great at it.

Common people can do unbelievable things. Go to the finish line of a triathlon to see that. Finish an Ironman. However, it takes practice and dedication, work and especially sacrifice to prepare for unbelievable endings. So with that, I reinstating my a.m. training practices.

No I am not going to be crushing 12 mile runs or riding two hours before 6a.m. like I used too just a few months ago but I am going to put time into the morning to hone my craft. I can still ride at a lower HR and will start putting in short spins on the trainer. Running is still tough with the HR limiters I have from the doctors but a 4 mile speed walk / slow jog will reconnect me with the absolute joy and peace I find with training outdoors before and during sunrise as the world comes alive.

Plus I have about 36 hours of podcasts to catch up on. (No, I've heard all yours TacBoy and Bigun).

My analogy. Alex Rodriguez, A-Rod, is one of the best players in the history of baseball. A few years ago he went 0-23 at bat, lasting about six games. Reporters dogged A-Rod through the whole thing, "Alex, what are you doing to change your hitting game? Taking more practice, change your stance?" Finally A-Rod responded about four games into the slump, "I have not changed my swing. I am not taking more ups in practice. I am doing the exact same thing I have done for the last ten years. My routine has allowed me to hit thousands of base hits and doesn't need to be changed. Everyone goes through a slump. "

My slump is a little more life threatening, but nevertheless, I stopped doing something, anything in the morning and think that has softened me up. I need to keep my routine, albeit dialed down significantly because some day, I pray, I can toe the line again.

2 comments:

tarheeltri said...

Great attitude! You're the same person as before... you just have a new starting point. Time to bring it back (gradually of course!)

Duane said...

Sounds good! Never give up!