Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Race Season 2007-2008

I am the 'Intrepid Age Grouper'. It's my homage to Calvin and Hobbes.

This is why I took two months off, then a strict three month build with no racing.


11/17/07 Intrepid Age Grouper @ El Tour De Tucson, 110 mile cycling race. The 25th Anniversary of this race will have 10,000 cyclist riding around Tucson. It is a rolling course with two dismounts to cross streams. I am pacing a buddy through this race with a goal time of under 7 hours. I have always wanted to do this race.

12/02/07 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Tucson Marathon. The whole enchilada. I am pacing a friend. Again a race I have always wanted to take part in.

1/13/08 PF Chang Half Marathon @ Intrepid Age Grouper. I have heard bloggers are coming down to this race. It won't be my first time but it will be fun with friends.

3/22/08 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Lake Havasu Triathlon. Olympic Distance. Last epic training before Ironman. After all the long IM training, this will help me remember how fun racing is. Swimming under the original London Bridge should be a blast for this history buff.

4/13/08 Ironman Arizona @ Intrepid Age Grouper. The Reckoning. I am above becoming to emotional about this race. I got really sick and still raced in 2007. Stupid. Still, this 'A' race represents my vision of having a great race and is my focus. My goal is sub-13.

5/03/08 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Rocky Pt. Mexico. Olympic. I love this race. Its international. It's on Saturday. We stay in a 5,000 square foot penthouse with great friends at an awesome resort.

5/18/08 Tempe International Classic @ Intrepid Age Grouper. International. Not a great race. Super hot. But if I stay healthy, I will PR.

6/08/08 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Escape From Alcatraz. Olympic. Need to get a lottery pick first. Heard good things. Want to challenge myself against the current of SF Bay. There really could be sharks in that water! Destination race in a good city. Something that I would not do every year so it appeals to me.

7/20/08 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Mountain Man, Flagstaff. Half Ironman. Bolder has told me if I do this race as a Half Iron, he will give me a life time exemption of SLP status. The course starts at 6,500 and tops out at 7,500. If I do the Olympic, as I have done in the past, (notably when I stress fractured my leg on the bike and finished in 2006), he will just renew my 2 year exemption.

9/21/08 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Cancun Ironman 70.3. Cancun has the lure of the tropics and is another punch on the international triathlete card. Several friends and team mates could make this a long weekend of fun and for those north of Kansas City, it will supply a winters worth of stories of palm tree and frilly drinks. Maybe recreate a past spring break or create our own. No kids allowed. My second 'A' race of the year.

9/22/08 Nathans Olympic Triathlon @ Intrepid Age Grouper. Sprint or Olympic TBD. If Cancun is a bust I will have this as a local back up for same weekend. Just a training day race to have fun on the course before getting serious for Vegas.

9/28/08 Intrepid Age Grouper @ Las Vegas Triathlon. I actually decided to break my base training camp in 2007 and do this race with Iron Kahuna and Robo Stu but a wedding in Seattle the same weekend forced my hand. This is a provisional race again in 2008 as Cancun is one week earlier than this race and I plan on being in Cancun for at least four days with Mistress and friends. That being said, I would really enjoy doing this race.

10/26/08 Soma @ Intrepid Age Grouper. Half Iron. If I can't get to Cancun 70.3 in September I will do Soma as my last long course tri of the year.

11/08/08 Just Another Mad Dog 50K @ Intrepid Age Grouper. My first Ultra baby! I would have done this in 2007, except El Tour de Tucson is the next weekend and needed fresh legs for a 110 mile bike. Even though a 50K does not have the oomph of a 100 miler, I would really like to put ultra-marathon on my resume and cap this magical season off with authority.

On the radar for next year but not listed is the local MyoMed Ragnar Relay, a 189 mile running relay for a team of 12 and the possibly still complete my dream of a rim to rim of the Grand Canyon.

This is an aggressive race schedule and not for those who are new to running or triathlon. I am looking for new locations and challenges for this season and created a plan that keeps me off balance and fresh.

18 comments:

Jen_runs said...

Trail ultras are calling me too.

I'd love to do Alcatraz - I saw a highlights package on tv here recently. Looks like one of those 'must do during your lifetime' kind of events.

Bigun said...

that's a great....big....season!

Kona Shelley said...

Wow...I'd love to do Alcatraz too someday. I hope you get in!! And what a year you'll have eh??

Brent Buckner said...

Wow - you go!

Bolder said...

hopefully, i'll join you for some of them...

but, will be cheering for you for all of them!

tarheeltri said...

Nice schedule. Looks like you have a lot of great local races! Ultra's are the new Ironman. I think our path's will probably cross again at Badwater in '09.

Laurie said...

Awesome! I can tell this is well thought out and planned. I can't wait to follow along during your season!

stronger said...

How about ditching SOMA and we'll gather for a rim to rim to rim (south to north, overnight at the cabins and back the next day) in Oct 08?

21stCenturyMom said...

Great schedule! I too will be trying for a spot in the Escape from Alcatraz so maybe we can do that one together. And yes, there are sharks in that water - just not Big Whites. There are apparently about 7 kinds of sharks but they are bottom feeders, not people eaters.

Spokane Al said...

You have set the standard for a robust race schedule. I will be looking forward to reading about it each step of the way as your year unfolds.

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

dude - HUGE Schedule! You can do it!

RIM TO RIM!!!

Also, you should think about plugging the Bay to breakers in there. We're talking about it.

There will be tutus.

Sayin'!

Lance Notstrong said...

As Ricky Bobby would say, "you're going to make this race schedule your bitch"!!! :-)

Wendy said...

Impressive!!!

Rachel said...

That is one loaded season! Mad hot! I'm doing IM-AZ too! Will be my first. Hopefully cooler than Soma this year.

S. Baboo said...

Good lookin season Comm, I've done a few of them and Mountain Man HIM is one of my faves.

Fumo Santo said...

Great schedule Comm!

Count me in for the MyoMed relay, as I wanted to do it this year but didn't have enough of a running group to enter.

I've been invited to participate in the Hood to Coast relay next summer in Oregon, so it should be a fun comparison and a great time!

Rim-to-rim would be an absolute blast. Be sure to take the time to soak it all in. Maybe a rim to rim to rim perhaps??

Bigun said...

wierd...I hit a link to your site from Taconite Boy's blog...he's got you listed for IMFL08...but I don't see it on this list of yours...strange...

Fe-lady said...

HUGE schedule! Best of luck at all of them....and no, as cool as it sounds, there aren't sharks in SF bay...but don't tell anyone else that! The folklore lives!