Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Crowds

I have a hard time being around crowds. When it comes to tight spaces or confined environments, I am just fine, put me in a crowd of people and I tend to become very frustrated. It think part of it is that with the mental routines I am constantly cycling through from my head injury, I know I can't control other people and when I get around them it affects my ability to control myself so I forget things like who I am with, where I am going, what I am supposed to be doing (which is why I us lists), what I was going to say. Thats why I tend to be defensive in crowds and towards the back of groups I am with, so I can see everyone. I used to think it was because I was some sort of protector looking out for those around me, but that is a fairly tale. Its because I need visuals to remind myself about whats going on.

People often wonder why I don't have more parties at my house. I have, by comparable means, a rather large house with lots of stuff for people to do and lots of toys for kids to play with, but to me its my Fortress of Solitude. Its the one place I know I can go that shuts out all the noise and allows me to not have to think about all that I say or do. I can sit and read and drink my fizzy water and when I need some additional sensory de2 Mistress has no problem with me going upstairs while Mo watches a movie and I get the buzzing out of my head.

I suppose its common. People have different levels of crowd tolerance they can handle. We have all had our moments where we are completely frustrated by the slow movers in front of us and the jostling that occurs at fairs and concerts and large gatherings. Its a part of life that I try to avoid.

5 comments:

Clyde S. Dale said...

I know what you mean. I'm the same way. I can't remember the last time I had people over to my house. I think that's why I like triathlon. You don't need other people to participate.

21stCenturyMom said...

I don't like crowds. There are lots of things I've never done because of it. There is a famous pumpkin festival in this area - I've never been. There is a famous garlic festival - I've never been. I've never done to see the Chinese New Year's parade. I know I'm missing out but I just don't like crowds and where there are parades and festivals, there are crowds.

My reasons are obviously different than yours but I get it. Crowds are just overwhelming.

Cliff said...

Commodore..

love being an introvert...or else how do we enjoy those 5 am bike rides :D

Cliff

Iron Pol said...

For me, it has to do with familiarity. I'm fine at a race with thousands of people. If I know lots of them, I'll hang out and talk. If I don't know anyone, I'll just do my thing.

If the "crowd" is all familiar people, we tend to have less difficulty. And when the need for time alone arises, friends tend to understand, regardless of the reason.

Andra Sue said...

I have a sort-of similar thing. I tend to get sensory overload in certain situations. Take for example spending numerous hours over the course of a day looking for new kitchen appliances. This happened last winter. I was at Expo Design Center and I just couldn't take it anymore--all the shiny things, bright lights, too many people, too much noise. I was like, "I need to go get a cookie and sit in the car by myself for a while and calm down."

I also can't stand going to the mall...least of all during the Holidays. The smell and fluorescent lights alone give me a headache. Yikes.