Thursday, October 11, 2007

Operation: Get Smart

After a few minutes of mostly me relating my liteny of head injury's, there was an uncomfortable pause as Mistress and I sat across the desk from the doctor. I thought, "We need an ice breaker."

Me: "So. Am I an idiot-savant."
Dr: "No."

Me: "Am I an idiot?"
Dr: "No."

Me: "Am I a savant?"
Dr" "No."

Me: "Can I tell people I'm a savant?"
Dr: "Sure. Go ahead."

Me (leaning in my chair to Mistress): "Honey. I'm a savant."
Mistress: "That's nice dear." "Now wipe the drool from your chin."

It didn't go exactly like that but nevertheless, here I am still a highly functioning head injury victim let loose on society. It took quite a while to go through the history of the open head injury, the closed head injury, the lack of effort the medical community put into me afterwards, the lying I did to get out of therapy, the mulitple concussions I've had since. The treatments I recieved for the physical recovery like learning how to walk and talk and tie my shoes. The treatments I got for the cognitive functions, the routines I learned. The coping mechanisms. At many points she cursed under her breath at the lack of effort and resources that were available to me at the time.

It was easy to express the the areas I felt I needed work with. It was a bit more difficult to listen to Mistress express her concerns on my changes. I purposefully did not read her list of things to review before hand, she would ask me. I would agree with most of them. Not all. But the problem with this condition is what is part of the brain injury and what is part of just being a driven guy.

By the end of the session, I realized that I had given her enough verbal cues to conditions past and present that there was no way I could be faking the severity of my symptoms. Like when I told her that for as long as I can remember I haven't been able to smell. Turns out the sniffer nerve is right next to where I had the big hit. I was relating something like smelling things differently and she suddenly stop writing, looked at me, smiled a second, then look back down. Sort of a 'Ah ha' moment. Lots of those.

The doctor explained that many victims of a multiple traumatic head injury such as I have sustained begin to exhibit breakdowns of ability around 20 years and mine will be 21 years ago next month. A good portion after twenty years of tying to cope, simply cannot and regress to a level where they become removed from their family, society or the workforce.

She gave me some 'Ah ha' moments. The almost universal mental response among TBI's to read the same thing over and over again (like I do when writing blog posts for example), how it takes much more mental energy to accomplish the same in a day as a normally functional person and this can make the person feel more tired, worn out or experience signs of slight depression.

In the end she is scheduling me for a test. I forgot the name already. It's basically an all day test to see where I am at and get baselines for future comparison. There are tests for lower functioning people and then people like me that are more high function but still have issues.

If for nothing else, I appreciate all of you who have stuck through these maybe inciteful but probably boring, self expressive posts. Maybe you know someone who has had a head injury like mine or maybe just a traumatic or mild concussion. I am not given to hyperbole but even one concussion can do harm, let alone the damage someone like me has done to himself repeatively.

18 comments:

Laurie said...

Keep writing about this. We care and we want to know how you are doing. Please don't ever feel like this is 'boring' to any of us. Take care.

LBTEPA said...

oops that's BEST possible positive outcome

LBTEPA said...

This is not boring, this is a friend going through tough times.
Best wishes for the post positive possible outcome

21stCenturyMom said...

Not boring at all - it's quite fascinating. I do hope you take precautions in the future not to bump your head. Of course the bike is always a risk but you can't just sit around for the rest of your life.

You seem to be beating the odds by quite a good margin. Way to go, Comms!

The Big Cheese said...

Trust me this is fascinating stuff. Keep it up we read your blog to read about your life, this is a part of your life. Keep your head up!

bunnygirl said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. It's interesting not just from a blog-friend perspective but because this is the sort of situation that could happen to anyone.

Bigun said...

It's your blog, dammit, and you'll write what you want to, write what you want to....

Nancy Toby said...

You go, Comm!! We want brain scans posted, too. All the gory details. :-)

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Brent Buckner said...

I'm with Nancy - bring on the scans!

Through all this I'm sure that your conscientiousness will serve you well - perhaps exceptionally well

Best wishes going forward.

Iron Pol said...

Ditto on Bigun's comment. You post what you want or need to. The neat thing about the Internet is it's got lots of channels.

Besides, most of us think you're like a Discovery Channel documentary in the making. And you KNOW we all watch that channel.

Bolder said...

the best of actually spending time with a blogger like you Comm, is that when i read your posts, i read them in your voice. so, i could totally picture that initial exchange going on... that go a big laugh on my side... i hope someone at least smiled in the room -- i mean besides you.

i love reading your posts. i was just telling Laurie that you've been on a roll lately. i don't know if this is complimentary or not, but your posts lately seem to contain more function!

Dr. Iron TriFeist :) said...

Nothing you write is boring. Thank you for keeping us up to date. You haven't met most of us but we care a great deal. Can't wait to read about the tests.

Will you break the testing curve?

Di said...

Comm, everyone here loves you and your posting - that's why we keep coming back for more!!
Glad to hear you and the Doc had many Ah HA moments, that means, you'll probably find what you are needing.
Keep posting, Hi to Mistress and the little guy.

Brian W said...

I've been mr. short term memory my whole life -- I don't just forget what I'm going to a store for, I forget when I go into the next room why I went there-- I know how frustrating that is, but I can only imagine your experience. Thank you for sharing.
BTW, I posted a comment to teh wrong message -- Kona is on Oct 13 -Saturday, not Sunday.

S. Baboo said...

Hey, it sounds like the testing you will be doing is the same stuff that I administer.

Hang in there Comm, the brain is an amazing thing. The fact you are putting yours to good use is a big bonus.

Fe-lady said...

You write very eloquently and thoughtfully- and I would never had known you had some type of TBI had you not mentioned it...yes keep on writing about yourself and whatever you want to write about! You will write...we will definitely read!

the Dread Pirate Rackham said...

are you kidding? this is real insight for me. I know that head injuries are a big deal, but this is like a subtle big deal - and you explain it really well. Everyone needs to know this.

I don't find it boring, and I find your self-expressiveness to be extremely honest. I place a high value on honest.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Not boring at all... want to hear more.
Love you buddy.
Jenny