Saturday, February 10, 2007

A string and a tell

It dawned on me Friday when I was tired as hell in the pool that I strung together seven straight workout days and only missed one day in two weeks. (I think I will start to call workouts 'practice' from now on.) I have a long ride today and tomorrow and a swim Monday before I take a day off, if I take a day off. In lieu of monster hammerfests (excluding Las Vegas) and bricks I have been just steadily burning off 60-120 minute workouts trying to stay in Z1-2 as much as possible.

I really felt like giving up in the endless pool yesterday, but I stuck to it. Coach Nick reminded me that this is the sensation I will/can feel in Ironman and its mental toughness to Charlie Mike (continue the mission). It wasn't a pretty workout, mostly 2 minute intervals on 30 seconds but in the end he said my form was good and need to work on endurance.

On update on endless pool training. I went to the rec pool to swim and it was quite difficult. Not from a technique or ability point of view but from strength. Stroking in an endless pool is much easier than normal water and my shoulders were quite fatigued. My sets longest distance was 500 yards and it was tough. Perhaps all the hours of swimming previous in the week and the hill intervals I did the day before had something to do with it. Perhaps not.

Now that I have switched over to Blogger v2.0 I realized a poker tell on my Bloglines. When someone switches over their new posts number (for those not on bloglines, each subscribed blog with a new post darkens in color and has a number in ( ) to show how many posts have been written since last reviewed), climbs into the double digits.

7 comments:

Flo said...

Yes, we folks switch their bloglines count goes to 25 (generally).

How do intervals work in the endless pool?? Do you just stop???

momo said...

are you thinking you might do more workouts in a pool vs. the endless pool if it seemed so hard? or maybe try it again when your body is not as fatigued to see if you feel the same way?

Bigun said...

swimming is so gosh darn boring - it's the easiest thing to quit on!

Iron Pol said...

I have to imagine swimming in an endless pool is much like running on a treadmill. The fact that your course is moving makes the process easier.

Rarely have I been on a run where the road moves, minimizing the force needed for me to continue forward (disregarding the rotational movement of the earth, because let's be realistic). Like wise the water flowing under me when swimming.

When you get to the natural environment, you suddenly find yourself working harder.

Mike said...

aah swimming my least favorite discipline for sure..awesome that you are making a concerted effort to improve with the coaching, etc. It will definitely pay off and seems to already have with the huge improvements in your time /percieved effort for the 100's- keep it rolling comm!!

Wendy said...

Practice is a great word! (If I go to a lane swim, I go swimming. If I go to a team workout I go to practice.)

Here's a question for you: is there a temperature difference between the endless pool you've been working in and the rec pool?

Spokane Al said...

I found your comment on the difference between the endless pool and a regular pool very interesting. It would seem that someone who trained exclusively in the endless pool would be at a major disadvantage come race day.