Friday, February 16, 2007

NUMB3RS

I have never watched this show, but I already hate it. Why? Well why would I want to watch a show about math and numbers and non-linear calculations when thats all I do all day long in work and triathlon practice. Almost every question I have in a day is answered with a number. Take a look. I will do these questions 'stream- of-consciousness' straight off the top of my head and will stop as soon as I actually have to think of what the next question will be.

What time do I train today?
How long?
How many strokes per 25 yard?
4 lengths equal 100 yards?
How many lengths have I done?
How many more till I hit 1oo yards and I hit my lap button?
How many laps (ergo 100 yards) have I done?
Whats my bike cadence?
It needs to be around 85.
Whats my speed?
Going up or down?
How many calories is that?
How many miles is that?
How many miles to the top of this hill?
What gear am I in and how many left?
What is my running pace per mile?
What is my distance so far?
What is my heart rate?
How much money does my next Shiny Thing cost?
What medical bills do I have to pay today?
How much is the prescriptions cost I just called in?
How many hours did this person work?
Did their commissions cover their hourly wage?
How many payroll corrections do I have?
What bonuses did the managers cover?

So why watch a show about that?

7 comments:

Lance Notstrong said...

I never watch it because I just think it's stupid to think you can figure out who killed the billionaire starlet by doing algebra.

Bigun said...

that's why I like my garmin - not much math involved with looking down at the screen. I could care less about my cadence - I think I counted once in my "normal" gear at my normal speed I was in the 80's - so be it! Swimming is the only crapshoot - lap 1 or 3 - I'm pretty much resigned to sets of 250 or 500 yds cause I'll always have to check my time to make sure I'm counting right. And I don't do 100's or 50's - way too much like speed work for this fat guy. Don't watch the Numb3rs show - it sucks.

stronger said...

I played speedround of sudoku with my sister over the weekend on her handheld game. The competitive side was hell bent on beating her time (and I did) but my head spun after 3 games. Too.many.numbers. My version of torture. Next time we'll just race in the pool like the good old days.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Watch Survivor instead and then call me during the commercials...

Phil said...

You need to buy a power tap or SRM, and then you'll have a whole new batch of numbers... WATTS... How many watts am I pushing? And then you'll be making more number deals with yourself... I'll hold this painful wattage for 3 more minutes...

Ultra Crackhead said...

Math RULZ is all I can say, considering that's what I'm trained in. And actuarial science, too. So I'm pretty nerdy, and I LOVE it.

I have always loved numbers and being timed, and measuring and all of that, which is why triathlon is the perfect sport for me!

Iron Pol said...

Okay, Numb3rs is a fairly decent show. They don't really do the actual math. They just talk about odd math principals in nature.

As an accountant, I deal with numbers most of every day, so can relate.

Here are a few you left out:

What day is it? and How many hours of sleep can I wrangle, today?

How long did (insert applicable child) keep me awake, last night?

How many hours of work have I invested in entry fees, this year?