Thursday, February 8, 2007

have a clearer picture

Basically what I am reading is that this new version or metamorphosis of Blogger is bad juju at worst and a strained new relationship at best. For those that have used both versions do you have faith that your opinion will change about your switch? Do you now dread posting with 2.0? Are you living with the, "I'm stuck because blogger is free" mentality?

As for some the problems I am reading about Blogger v2.0 is picture upload, anonymous comments and problems logging in. To be honest I have not been able to upload pictures from my pc to blogger in months. All my personal photos go through flikr or picasa2 and I post from the web instead of browsing my pc. I do understand that a blogger needs to make sure their settings are correct, I get comments on this blog that the in my gmail show a name but non-reply as the email address. I believe a tweak in the setting will correct that. I have never had a issue with logging with Blogger v1.0 so this would be very frustrating I suppose.

This blog or whatever this is that I do here has become a big part of my daily process. I may try another route, word press or something (I haven't looked into it) and pay for a template to have more control over my blog life.

For those that do have their own 'non-blogger' platform as a template, through Word Press or iMac, etc., what are your thoughts? Was it a waste of money to switch off blogger?

5 comments:

Flo said...

Comm, I've been using the new blogger (not beta) for a while now and actually I like it. It's much easier to manipulate if you're like me and have zero patience with computer stuff. I've figured out how to do everything I did on the old version and it really is easier. I haven't had any problems with photos or anon comments and yesterday I figured out how to put my return e-mail on my comments. So that's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Fumo Santo said...

Comm, I agree with Flo. With any new release, you're going to have issues. Nothing will be seamless. However, I view this upgrade to the new Blogger version as pretty simplistic, and not overly problematic.

As for merging to another application, I'd see you having just as much difficulty, if not more.

Every application involves upgrading, so no matter what road you choose you'll still eventually have the same inevitable outcome.

Good luck in your choice and remember that no single application is perfect (sorry Mac users).

Wendy said...

Comm's, overall I remain ambivalent New vs. Old. I do like that you can label your posts, and readers can sort on the labels. But I haven't done much different on New than I did on Old.

Iron Pol said...

Well, let's see. Today, I was forced to change. Conversion, no big deal (so far as I've seen). Most of my pictures are also "off blogger" so I wouldn't expect them to be gone.

Posting, no problem. No real change, except for the labels. Since I won't remember to use them for some time, it's relatively moot.

The No-Reply e-mail address is my current biggest headache. I've been digging and unable to find anyone with useful information. Everything shows my correct yahoo address, but I keep coming up as "No Reply@blogger.com."

I am always ready to make changes (I'm one of the lead members launching our new business system, at least as flawed as blogger). I just get frustrated at being forced to change to a known flawed system. Too much like Microsoft.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

All versions are hard for me. I still don't know how to change my profile picture, or put my training calendar on my sidebar...
Jenny