Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Riding the desert

When I first moved to Arizona I hated it. I came from Seattle, The Emerald City, so called because it rains almost every single day keeping everything green. It might rain 10 or 12 days a year in Phoenix though most of those rains come and go in just a few hours. After almost a decade I really like living here. I am used to the heat and the desert while it doesn't photograph well (especially from a camera phone) does have a certain quality about it that is peaceful.

It makes me thankful that from my house, I can ride only a few miles and be completely alone or as alone as one can be on a seldom busy highway to no where. This year I would like to include more pictures of the places I train, Canyon Lake, Tortilla Flats, The mythical Bee Line (IMAZ course) and Tempe Town Lake.

For a guy that actually likes to take pictures, I certainly have been remiss recording my own environment.


7 comments:

Joseph Vinciquerra said...

I am Joe's extreme jealousy.

Seriously wishing I was there - maybe a training trip some time soon? ;-)

Clyde S. Dale said...

Looks cool!! It's going to be 50 here today!! 50!!!!! You know your from the midwest when you can say that with excitement!!!

50!!!!

Bigun said...

I keep hoping my RV dealership buys a store out west so I can maybe get a transfer - would love it out there! Have a great friend in Pheonix - best man at my wedding - and another college buddy in Albq. NM...

Wendy said...

Thanks for the taste of warmer climes, Comm's!

White Salamander said...

Phoenix is arid hell hole and I'm glad to be rid of it. Living there was like living in the Star Wars world of Tatooine minus the cute but troublesome Jawa Sand People.

Fe-lady said...

A road with little traffic in Phoenix area???? Unbelievable! I just may have to commute to ride up there someday! :-)
And actually, that is a very good photo!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

Nice picture. looks really "green"!
Jenny