Monday, February 26, 2007

Closet Smoker?

On Saturday I made my second attempt at a monster hill just outside of Tortilla Flats, the de facto area of operation for the AZTRICLUB. Its a 7 to 8 mile climb with some steep areas that to me might as well be steps.

The first attempt I felt good reaching the top, if feeling like I wanted to throw up is a good thing. But I pulled a tight muscle in my back and felt that a second attempt would hurt the rest of my training week.

This last attempt was a slug but the course felt shorter. By that I mean the pounding heartbeat I felt in my ears didn't start until a bit further along the course. It was a great looking day but only 40 degrees so very cold. Getting to the top felt like I had smoked a pack of Lucky Strikes as I coughed and had my celebratory dry heave. CHEERS.

I had already told myself that I was not making a second attempt. I will go to the top each time or not at all. Something about revisiting that spot each time I go up does not appeal to me. Luckily the 45 minutes it takes me to get to the top is followed by a 15 minute shot back down. At 40 degrees it felt like a permanent external Brain Freeze and stopped every so often to warm up my face. I brought my camera along to document some magnificent views. This ride truly is in the middle of the Sonoran desert and completely isolated from civilization. Trust me, no one considers the town of Tortilla Flats civilized; good prickly pear ice cream and a mean cheeseburger but nothing else.

Sunday I did a 7 mile run then a 20 mile bike and then a 6 mile run off the bike. Felt good. Stayed right under ten minute miles for the two runs. If I can pace 10:30 at IM and walk the aid stations for one minute (11'30" mile) that is almost exactly five hours. I have no shame in saying I will walk the entire marathon if needs be, but I would like to be pragmatic about this, I know I can run off the bike; my thirty minute negative split at Florida proved that.

Well... out the door for a swim.

4 comments:

Ellie Hamilton said...

Wow! I used to see bikers doing that ride but I was afraid to try it myself on that twisty-turny road. Good food at Tortilla Flats. Great coffee. Walls papered with dollar bills from customers all over the world. And great prickly pear ice cream!!

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) said...

I think sitting in saddles drinking beers with you and a bunch of other tribloggers would be worth every second of the tough ride getting there.
;-)

Cliff said...

I plan on doing 10 min run 1 min walk for the marathon on IM as well.

That 7-8 mile climb sounds sexy. Gotta look for some of that in my backyard.

Fe-lady said...

I need to ride up there someday! Sounds grueling! How were your hands? That's what I have to stop and warm up lately on my rides...even with my "lobster mitts" on! brrrr!
You are right on track by the reports of your workouts! Go get 'em!