Friday, August 18, 2006

Where does the time go?

After three months of 100+ degree weather and sometimes insufferable heat, Phoenicians start to go batty for cooler weather. Most go to southern California desinations like Disneyland or San Deigo. I myself am not immune to this. I have drooled over some blog posts recently that have pictures of beautiful bubbling streams and wooded trails to run on and curse the fact that my long runs usually involve the desert and avoiding rattlesnakes and catcus needles.

Just today the topic of every conversation has been about what others are doing this weekend; going to northern Arizona aka the high country and cooler weather, vacationing in San Diego, weekend at a local resort, or zipping to Las Vegas.

When they ask me what I am doing this weekend, its usually asked in a way that implies nothing could be as cool as what they just said but they feel compelled ask just so they know they are right.

I sleepily tell them that, "I swam 2.4 mile in open water and biked for an hour last night. Today I am going for a run around Tempe Town Lake for two hours, tomorrow is another 2.4 mile open water swim and then a 5 mile run, Sunday is a 3 hour bike followed by another two hour run in the desert."

"Holy Crap!" they say, "I don't do that in a month."

"Oh." I repsond. "Pretty typical weekend for me lately."

I have sometimes finished with, "Wish I was doing what your doing this weekend..." Said in such a way as to imply that nothing they said was as cool as what I just said but I feel compelled to ask just so they know that I am right.

Off to that run now.

2 comments:

Flatman said...

good on ya...

it'll all pay off in november and you won't be running in the desert or dodging cactus needles. You be running on the beach and dodging bikinis!

Fe-lady said...

You are doing what you are supposed to be doing! Don't let anyone tell you or tempt you differently!
Hey, do you train with a guy named Matt? He just did the "Triple Bypass" in Colorado. I swim with his dad!
(I think he did that last tempe town lake tri with you 'cause he was the one who cut his foot...did you mention that? I know I read it somewhere!) Small world, hmmm?