Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Could it be...

I actually met someone today who had no idea what triathlon was. No clue. He is an older gentleman, late 50's and he no has no clue about the sport or what an Ironman is.

As I was trying to explain what a triathlon is, okay we all know it is Swim, Bike, Run but he thought it was just so weird, our mutual friend mentioned that I am training for an Ironman in Florida this November. The envitable question came up, (you know "How far is that?"), his jaw just dropped all the way to the floor when I told him.


Thats me...opening one mind at a time.

7 comments:

Fe-lady said...

Sometimes I try to explain what we do to people who haven't a clue...but I gave it up a LONG time ago! I don't have the patience anymore for those who live under rocks....or in caves...or in their TV dens...actually, he would KNOW about IM races if he watched TV tho, wouldn't he?
You are a better person than I am!

Bolder said...

the funniest thing i find, is that no one can keep the order straight, they keep asking me over and and over:

'it's bike, swim, then run -- right?'

Nancy Toby said...

You're running with a tough bunch, Comm. Either that or they don't get out of the Big House much....

Rainbow said...

I had to explain to an old friend tonight that an Ironman was actually a triathlon. That there are different distances you can race. They did not understand, but then again 6 years ago, I wouldn't have either.

Clyde S. Dale said...

Yea it's funny to non-triathletes all triathlons are Ironman events. I'll say I did a trithalon last weekend and they say Wow!! Thats crazy I saw one on TV from Hawaii last year. At that moment I walk away all cocky, yea you probably saw me then. Ha ha me in Kona.

Nytro said...

my parents were the same way when benny did his first tri. when i did my first tri, my mom stood on the beach and cried.

when benny did his ironman, they were blown away...

Habeela said...

Yeah, I was incredulous when my best friend met me at the finish line of Steelhead and said "I had no idea what you were doing today!" Hello! My best friend! She heard me talk about it for months! :) I guess some people just can't wrap their brains around it.