Saturday, August 19, 2006

I see crazy people...

Maybe I have become one of the crazy people out there. I am a quarter way through my 4th and final loop at the lake on Saturday, checking my time out by the lake buoy when I see another wetsuit.

"Hey I'm Commodore! Whats your name?"

"Eric! Are the crazy guy swimming 4 miles today?"

"No just 4 loops."

"Thats 4,000 yards right, ironman distance?"

"Yeah, thats what I'm swimming. Oh...Oh I thought you said 4 miles, not 4, 000. Sorry dude a little out it right now."

Eric found us online at the club website and decided to check us out. His first time in open water, first time in a wetsuit and first time swimming more than 850 yards. The guy actually swam really fast.

When I got back to shore I looked in my swim bucket and found a dri-fit that had this written on it:A late birthday present from Andy.

I realized at 0400 when I woke up that I was still snockered from the workout the day before and my lack of calorie consumption was going to make the day tough. I went to bed 2,000 calories in the hole and that is simply too much. It was one of those days that it was impossible to get enough quality food in me to make up for the deficit I had created working out and went to bed still trying to stuff my face full of food.

5 comments:

greyhound said...

I heart all these crazy people.

And you reminded me of the favorite t-shirt I saw at my Ironman 70.3 race, worn by a 6 foot plus, blond, amazon who looked like she could break me in half or melt me with her glance. The black shirt, in nondescript white lettering across her . . . well . . . you know, said:

Low Carb is for Lazy People.

Papa Tweet said...

One day, I was in the lake swimming like usual, when all of a sudden, me and another triathlete run into each other, literally. We hit heads. What are the odds? Two swimmers in a 5,000 surface acre lake, and we hit heads. Seriously, how does this happen. Anyway, your story reminded me of that. By the way, EAT!

Chris said...

I don't know if you're trying to lose weight, but if it makes you feel any better I was going to bed hungry for over a month. You know its bad when you wake up in the middle of the night because your stomach won't stop grumbling. :)

Bolder said...

2000 is a big hole

have you tried ensure/boost?

Siren said...

I LOVE that shirt! I've had it bookmarked for a while, but I feel like I shouldn't get it until I'm training for Iron.